Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Technique question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:11 pm 
Hi,

I'm a newbie here (sorry if this is in the wrong spot...) and I was wondering if anyone can help me out...

I just bought a Canon Powershot SX120 IS and I will be going to a concert in a few days - front row - off to the left side... I was just wondering what would be the best setting I should use to get the best photos? Should I just leave it on Auto with the flash up?

Also, there will be a VIP meet and greet before hand. The venue is an open space (with roof of course), summer venue. Should I leave the camera on Auto mode with the flash down?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I really want to come out with lots of great photos at the end of the concert.

Thanks!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:19 pm 

If you dont have much time to learn your camera, Id say (something I never say): Leave it on the fully auto.
If you got some time, just check the P(rogram) mode. Set the ISO on 400-1600 (depends on where the action is) and open the flash. Set the flash exposure on +1 to +2 (depends too on where you are) and practice.

Welcome on the forum BTW :)

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:44 pm 
Thanks!!!

I do have some time still and will definitely give that a try... hard to see the results as I'm not at the concert at the moment but thanks for the tip and for welcoming me to the forum :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:06 am 
Ruben what did you mean by "depends on where the action is" and "depends too on where you are" when you said this:

Set the ISO on 400-1600 (depends on where the action is) and open the flash. Set the flash exposure on +1 to +2 (depends too on where you are)??

My seat is front row, to the left of the stage... more than likely I'll be standing up and up against the baricades, as close as I can get to the stage hahaha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:41 pm 

I think he means that every venue is different, and every seat is different also. The flash has a maximum range, and by adjusting to +1 or +2 you can help make it reach further, but only works if you're still relatively close.

If you find that your images come out blurry, I would try the sports mode. It tries to use a faster shutter speed to "stop the action". By using a faster shutter speed, the camera will compensate by opening the aperture more if possible, or by using a higher ISO. You'll have to experiment a bunch of photos before you get the best one.

I would turn on the Image Stabilization on your camera just to be safe, but probably the biggest factor will be how fast the band moves on stage, not how much you shake. If the entire picture comes out blurry, it's because of your shake, but if only one or multiple band members come out blurry, but the rest of the image is fine, then it's the people moving too fast. Either tell them to slow down, or use a faster shutter speed :)

Your camera has a Maximum Aperture of f/3.1 (W) - f/5.9 (T). That means that on the wide side of the lens (when you zoom out), the lens will let in more light and let you use a faster shutter speed and/or lower ISO. So if the pictures come out too blurry (too slow shutter speed) or too grainy (too low ISO), then you need to zoom out to use a larger aperture. (a large aperture is denoted by a smaller number, so f/3.1 is wider than f/5.9).

And most important of all, enjoy the show!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:06 pm 

Ìm, sorry, I had to explain it better.
It's almost impossible to say what settings you need.
As I said, set the camera to P(rogram).
Open the flash and set it to plus 1 to start with. Is your photo a bit too dark?
Set the flash to plus 2.
Is it dark still? Set the ISO higher, ie 400 or 800.
After every photo with diffrent exposure, check it, and change the exposure (ISO, flash) if necessary.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:31 am 
Thank you so much to both of you for the explanations :).

I don't think the camera has a sports mode.. which was dumb of me to forget to look for it but I'll take a look to double check :).

EDIT: nope no sports mode but there is a kids and pet scene which is for "objects that move around" so I guess that's almost like a sports mode hahahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:43 am 

You're welcomed TDotFan10!

Most recent cameras have a "sports" mode, but interestingly many have different names for it. Even more interesting when it's two cameras from the same manufacturer.