Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:15 pm 
A excellent article by Thom Hogan about people who are constantly upgrading camera body. When and what you need to to know before dropping large sums of money on camera bodies that may not make you any better of a photographer then you all ready are.

http://www.bythom.com/blame.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:38 pm 

Nothing new, but an interesting read nonetheless, thanks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:40 pm 
Nothing new here too & I for one,know my limitations. (weddings for example)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:48 pm 
A D3X will limit you less than a rebel.

For example: Low light photos.

In this case a D3X will make your photos look better and chances are that with the rebel you'll be worrying about noise more than composition.

A good photographer is someone who takes good photos. Good photos have good composition and good image quality.

The ideal camera is the one that makes you worry more about composition than it's technical limitations. In that sense then yes, a D3X will make your photos look better than if you made them with, for example, a rebel.

A crappy photo could become a mediocre photo and a good photo could become a great photo if you used a D3x instead of a rebel, assuming the D3x has a technical advantage over the rebel in said cases.

The logic is right. That is why no professional photographer uses a cell phone camera as their main camera.

If you are passinate about photography and want to buy a D3x because you believe it will make your photos look better (thus making you a better photographer) then go ahead! It's your money (hopefully) and none of my business.

I just don't think remortgaging your house is a good idea. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:20 am 

Have you held a D3x Agun? I have, and trust me, if I had to carry a camera all day I'd probably get the Rebel :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:46 pm 
I am not sure any equipment would make me a better photographer. But before I laid out $6k for a camera - I would rather take my little Canon Rebel and purchase a really good L lens. I think for someone in my position - a less expensive camera and a really good lens would show my abilities better. I have seen some great photos with the Rebel and a EF 70-200L IS lens. Of course I am no way a pro ---

Last edited by larrysch on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:54 pm 
Citruspers wrote:
Have you held a D3x Agun? I have, and trust me, if I had to carry a camera all day I'd probably get the Rebel :lol:

My arms, they are made of STEEL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:41 pm 

Mine too, but they tend to suffer from metal fatigue :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:48 pm 
You can't do complex photography with a Rebel for example,so I would endure a D3 series camera all day,sure. :) I'll feel like Hell at the end of that day,but that means increasing your endurance. I know photographers that carry so much gear,it's crazy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:57 pm 

Consider me one of them, but that doesn't mean I won't go light if I go for my enjoyment :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:09 pm 
The whole point of "pro" gear is three-fold: reliability, predictability, accessibility. Professionals use "pro" bodies not because of the resolution or even the high-ISO capabilities. Back in the day Nikon D200 had cleaner images at high ISO settings than the D2X, but professionals still preferred the latter. Canon 7D has more megapixels than three generations of 1D series cameras, but sports shooters still hang onto the latter. It's because "pro" gear can take much more punishment and not lose a limb, it's because of the superior metering and focusing systems that allow the photographer to get exactly what he/she wants and it's because you can change most settings with the flick of a button, lever, whatever, instead of diving into menus.

Edit: Oops, looks like I just revived a 2.5-month old thread. Didn't look both ways before posting. My apologies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:16 pm 
Well the Canon thing is debatable...the 7D has a better AF system than the old 1D series,so it's down to comparing 1,6 crop vs. 1,3 .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:55 pm 
I've found upgrading the photographer to provide the best return on investment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:06 pm 
Hand a rebel and a d3x to a beginner and the rebel will get the better pics.
The beginner would hardly know how to take a pic with the d3x, enev if they could it would be over or under exposed, no auto mode.
Ive handed my 550d to family and they are baffled by it, and think its a complicated and big camera.lol The 1d is a like a different language to them. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:53 pm 

Razvan wrote:
You can't do complex photography with a Rebel for example,so I would endure a D3 series camera all day,sure.

Care to elaborate ? Except for some higher-end options like micro-adjust for lenses, the faster AF, burst mode/buffer and all that, any camera will do the job in my opinion. Wonder what you mean with 'complex photography'.

It's like Philip says: upgrading the photographer offers the best return on investment ;). New gear will make life far easier, but in the end it's still the photographer. As I read the article about the 16 megapixel DX Nikon (the D400 ? :P ) I couldn't help but think of the same story at Sony with the upcoming Sony A7XX (some say it won't make 2010, but I can hardly believe Sony would share a mock-up that much in advance...) . Some hang onto Sony's Alphas, others consider jumping ship, and sometimes actually jump ship eventually.

My photos on Flickr...