Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:12 am 
Hey Guys

I'm getting a Canon 450D in the next day or so and have been trying to learn all about DSLR as this will be my first camera. Now i'm a big collector of Statues and want to take pictures of them using a black background to make them stand out.

They will be taken in the house with lots of natural light coming in from behind the camera so i'm just looking for some basic settings for a starting point.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:21 pm 

Definitely use your window for natural lighting. It's bright and soft.

What settings to use? Well, the slowest shutter speed you can get away with, and the tiniest aperture for more depth of field.

Bonus points if you understood that, if not, stop worrying. don't ask us for settings, you've barely held your camera! Go out, shoot, have fun! Experiment :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:32 pm 
Citruspers wrote:

What settings to use? Well, the slowest shutter speed you can get away with, and the tiniest aperture for more depth of field.

Bonus points if you understood that, if not, stop worrying. don't ask us for settings, you've barely held your camera! Go out, shoot, have fun! Experiment :)

Yeah i've been watching loads of youtube vids on ISO/Shutter speeds and what aperture does, i know that F2.8 give a shallow DOF & F22 give more etc :D

Just when shooting with the background being black i wasn't sure of. Like you say practice makes perfect and i can't wait for the camera to get here. Also glad i found this place been looking at all the wonderful pics you guys take, some stunning stuff!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:28 pm 
Citruspers wrote:

And also use a reflector (can be a piece of aluminum foil or a blank piece of paper) to fill in any shadows or to make the image less contrasty. 8)

If you use a black background my advice is that you make a photo with the background blurred and one with it in focus and choose whichever you prefer.

I bet you know how to do this from Gordon's videos. :P

You might want to invest in a lightbox or make your own. It's what many Stockphotographers use to make photos of household stuff like spoons.

And just an idea: If you really want people to pay attention to the statue get creative and put it in weird places like in the middle of the road on a rainy day... on a DJ disc... inside a huge green jelly (jello)... etc. But this might be abusing on the statues.

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:52 am 
agun wrote:

And also use a reflector (can be a piece of aluminum foil or a blank piece of paper) to fill in any shadows or to make the image less contrasty. 8)

If you use a black background my advice is that you make a photo with the background blurred and one with it in focus and choose whichever you prefer.

I bet you know how to do this from Gordon's videos. :P

You might want to invest in a lightbox or make your own. It's what many Stockphotographers use to make photos of household stuff like spoons.

And just an idea: If you really want people to pay attention to the statue get creative and put it in weird places like in the middle of the road on a rainy day... on a DJ disc... inside a huge green jelly (jello)... etc. But this might be abusing on the statues.

:?

Thanks for tips bud. I'll do the blur and focus thing that is a great idea.

As for putting them inside jelly that made me :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:04 pm 
He looks angry

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:28 pm 

@augen, Well someone put his calculator inside a green jelly :lol:

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:41 pm