Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:04 pm 
I have read in many places that when using a Tripod that you should turn off your Image Stabilizer. I fully understand this and the need for it. But my question is - Do you also need to turn off the Image Stabilizer if your using a monopod. The reason I question this is because when I use my monopod - I have total control of the movement of up and down - the monopod stabilizing this action - but I can not control the movement from side to side - thus - should you keep the Image stabilizer on when using a monopod??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:42 am 
I find mono-pods somewhat useless and don't even use them. :P

I would turn it on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:02 pm 

Solarsanction obviously only has light lenses 8)
My main use for a monopod is of course stability, but you'll really come to appreciate one after shooting for hours with a large body + battery grip, and 70-200 F/2.8. You really want a monopod then to carry the weight :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:08 pm 

I do.
I use mine mostly when doing long distance shots while walking/stalking and all though the cam is not absolutely still it is alot more still.
Carrying becomes lugging when talking tripods most times and places I go,not always a wise option to take one along and by the time everything is levelled out/up on unlevel ground the critter would probably be in the next county.
Finding a tree or something solid to lean against assists alot with the monopod side to side.

Last edited by kpr on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:08 pm 
Citruspers / kpr - I agree on the use of the monopod for stability - and I also use mine for a walking stick as I walk the Snake River Canyon alot -(without the camera on it) then when needed I can just attach the camera to the ballhead in seconds. I read in the manual somewhere and have read in some books that if you turn off the Canon IS lens - doing so saves the battery life - and do so if your using a tripod.

Last edited by larrysch on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:50 pm 

Larry for me I have to remember when to turn it off,it's almost always on.
Maybe I should try it more often to see results but it's rare I use a tripod too.
Window mount or Monopod more often.
Heres one from the window mount the deer is about 1/4 mile away...I/S is ON..
Front of lens was also rested on my forearm to rearview mirror and the window down so the mount itself was also supported by the Jeep doorframe.
The 500 is quite heavy and long fully extended.

Focal Length: 500.0mm (35mm equivalent: 750...
Exposure Time: 0.0056 s (1/180)
Aperture: f/9.5
ISO Equiv.: 200
Exposure Bias: 1.50
Whitebalance: Manual
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
Exposure Mode: Auto bracketing

With the rechargeable AA's, battery life really isn't an issue either.
Have 3 sets and can recharge in my vehicle if needed in less than an hour but much prefer a long slow charge usually about 8hrs
it seems to last much longer which is a plus this time of year here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:14 pm 

I leave my IS on when on the monopod.. like you I use mine as a walking stick as well ... and also it gives me some sence of security, even though it may be a false security, when encountering wild animals if one should happen to think I am too close.

It really come into its own at long focal lengths as well as low light.

One thing not many realise as well is that most sporting arenas dont allow tripods... watch an NFL game... all the photographers along the sidelines, unless they are part of the TV network covering the game, are using monopods. Museums as well rarely allow tripods. They definately have their place and are far from useless as can be seen in the venues mentioned above and for nature outings.

Along the same lines.. I was at the opening cerimonies last night for the olympics... walked into the arena using the monopod as a walking stick... faked a bit of a limp and wasnt even questioned... lead to some cool shots I would never have gotten freehand due to low lighting.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:21 pm 
Citruspers wrote:
My main use for a monopod is of course stability, but you'll really come to appreciate one after shooting for hours with a large body + battery grip, and 70-200 F/2.8. You really want a monopod then to carry the weight :)

Ah, I failed to take into account heavier equipment. And using a monopod as a walking stick-- clever. Perhaps my view on the monopod is changing :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:24 am 

Wolfsong

Are you posting some shots from last night, Canada did a great job opening the games.

This thread was what I have been thinking of for a while and it answered all my queries, thanks guy's.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:30 pm 

SolarSanction wrote:
Citruspers wrote:

Ah, I failed to take into account heavier equipment. And using a monopod as a walking stick-- clever. Perhaps my view on the monopod is changing :D

Don't use it when you don't have a need for it. You may look cool with all the equipment, but in the end you'll be exhausted :lol: