Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:48 pm 
I am not clear on what a battery grip is, but I assume it holds more than one battery ?

The other day shooting at the indoor Zoo, after 400 photos, my main battery went dead, yes I had a spare, I can see this happening over & over again. Will a battary grip help me ? I hear on youtube some can not get the battary pack to work in the D5000. And Suggestion ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:49 am 
Billfo wrote:
I am not clear on what a battery grip is, but I assume it holds more than one battery ?

The other day shooting at the indoor Zoo, after 400 photos, my main battery went dead, yes I had a spare, I can see this happening over & over again. Will a battary grip help me ? I hear on youtube some can not get the battary pack to work in the D5000. And Suggestion ?

The grip holds extra batteries for extented use.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:51 am 

It basically allows you to use 2 batteries at the same time, and provides a better grip when doing portraits. It also makes your camera look bigger and more professional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:18 am 
It's main benefits:

-Vertical shutter release.
-2 batteries
-Can use regular AA batteries. (Really useful when on Holiday away from a Canon shop).

Other benefits:
-Looks huge and thus awesome

Disadvantages:
-Weight
-Might be too big to fit in your bag. (specially Lowerpro's line of toploaders)
-Price. Not exactly the cheapest of accessories.

I am not familiar with the D5000's battery grip problems so i cannot help you with that.

PS: If you really don't need it and don't have a tripod I strongly recommend you get a good steady tripod like a Manfrotto 190XProb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:02 pm 
So what one would fit the d5000?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:54 pm 
I've just been reading some stuff about the Nikon D5000.

Nikon haven't launched a battery grip for it.

This makes sense because a battery pack would limit the movement of the swivel screen a disable you to do self portraits.

They are some third party battery grips but many only offer a shutter release button that works either by the infrared port (meaning you'll have to set your camera to remote control mode) or by an external cable.

Some let you half press the shutter release button to AF but forget about having other controls like a main dial.

This is the downside of having a swivel screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:31 pm 
Quote:
Posted by agun
I've just been reading some stuff about the Nikon D5000.

Nikon haven't launched a battery grip for it.

This makes sense because a battery pack would limit the movement of the swivel screen a disable you to do self portraits.

They are some third party battery grips but many only offer a shutter release button that works either by the infrared port (meaning you'll have to set your camera to remote control mode) or by an external cable.

Some let you half press the shutter release button to AF but forget about having other controls like a main dial.

This is the downside of having a swivel screen.

The Nikon D3000 doesn't has a swivel screen and Nikon Didn't maked a battery grip for that one too, so I don't think that you are rigth. The reasen why I think Nikon didn't maked a grip for the D5000 is simple:
Nikon makes only batterygrips for the (semi) professional cameras.
And since this is an ''step up from the real budget models'', nikon will probably never make an Batterygrip for this camera.

But I own an third party batterygrip too, buyed from Ebay, and it works fantastic! I have the one with the cable too trigger the shutter, and I can make up to 800-1000 pictures!

So for your problem I would highly recommend the third party batterygrip.

But that's my opinon.

Lots of succes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:37 pm 
I have bought a Zeikos battery grip for my camera and have found out that it cost 3 times less than ; in my case Canon. Ive realized that the rubber grip on the Zeikos grip is WAY better than on my Rebel XSi. I have also researched that they do make one for your camera body.

Just my opinion, but i sometimes feel it gives much needed weight if using heaver lenses.