Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:23 pm 
My main reason for buying this lens was for low light shots. My intersts have changed to Lanscape/sunset photography.

I am curious if this lens will do the job.

What are good settings for sunset images? F/?

Should a neutral density filter be used also.

Thank You


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:03 pm 
F8 & F11 for best performance. :)

a ND filter is not a good option,unless you really need to "tame" the light & have a tripod


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:59 pm
Posts: 6009
Location: The Netherlands
I'm positive your 17-85 is better for sunset landscapes, and it has stabilisation ;)

_________________
I take pictures so quickly, my highschool was "Continuous High".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:05 pm 
I seem to get a very dark landscape when I adjust my setting to not over expose the horizon. Won't a ND solve that?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:16 pm 
MNstorm wrote:
I seem to get a very dark landscape when I adjust my setting to not over expose the horizon. Won't a ND solve that?


Only if it's a graduated ND filter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduated_ ... ity_filter


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:23 am 
Quote:
I seem to get a very dark landscape when I adjust my setting to not over expose the horizon. Won't a ND solve that


I agree on the lens - your 17-85 is better for sunset landscapes - and I am wondering about you being worried about the dark landscape - when taking a photograph of a sunset/sunrise. Isn't it about the sunset or sunrise - to me - if the landscape is viewable - then you have lost the coloration and beauty of the sunset.
Quote:
but image stabilization actually causes vibration when its on a tripod

In the canon manual - "When you use a tripod, the Image Stabilizer should be turned off to save battery power." - but other books do talk about the non needed for the IS on a tripod.


Last edited by larrysch on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:02 am 
Citruspers wrote:
I'm positive your 17-85 is better for sunset landscapes, and it has stabilisation ;)


Citruspers, When I do landscapes, I never use stabilization because I'm always using my tripod. I don't know if you know this or not, and don't take offense if you do, but image stabilization actually causes vibration when its on a tripod. It tries to counteract the non-existent vibration, and in doing so, causes vibration. Like I said, I don't mean to imply that you didn't know, just trying to help out. Sorry for getting off subject.

MNstorm, you will appreciate the 17-85 more because of the wide angle. If you look at almost any sunset photo, they are all wide. You get a better feel of it. Also, if you have a 1.6x cropped body, your 50mm is actually 80mm, which is definitely not ideal for landscapes and sunsets. Find the sweet spot of that lens and you will be good.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:59 pm
Posts: 6009
Location: The Netherlands
That's great Spawn, but not everyone carries a tripod around, all day ;)
Also, the newer VR systems are designed to also work on tripods (VRII).

My point was, the 17-85 goes wide, and is stabilised. I would've missed a lot of landscapes if it weren't for those 2 features (albeit with the nikon counterpart).
Yes, the landscapes would be better if I had a tripod. But I didn't. 8)

_________________
I take pictures so quickly, my highschool was "Continuous High".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:09 pm 
Stupid me, it never occurred to me that not everyone uses a tripod. haha I completely overlooked that when I posted that comment above. I didn't know about the new VR. I'm a Canon shooter so I don't even read up on Nikon anymore. Even if I did shoot Nikon, with the new VR II, I would still turn it off out of habit.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:59 pm
Posts: 6009
Location: The Netherlands
If you have a good tripod I'd definitely turn it off. The less things moving on it, the better :)

_________________
I take pictures so quickly, my highschool was "Continuous High".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:56 am 
Hm... there's really no point in using the 50mm prime for low light if you're using a ND filter...You're stopping down resulting in slower shutter speeds anyway. Like others have said, you might as well just use the 17-85 on a tripod.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:35 am 
@ SolarSanction

The only difference between using the 50mm and the 17-85mm is the focal length, given that you can't use an aperture of 1.8 for a landscape.

But yes, the 17-85 is much better for is shorter and wider 17mm.

The trick in sunset photography is to underexpose the sky to bring out the colours. A graduated neutral density filter is a must.

Or though you could shoot in raw and tinker in photoshop with masks and stuff.. but the result is never as good or satisfying as the ones achieved with a good filter.

Do not buy a 50mm 1.8 lens for landscape photography. In landscape you never use such big apertures. What really matters here is focal length and a wide angles are the best. Regardless of it's biggest aperture setting.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:34 am 
agun wrote:
@ SolarSanction

The only difference between using the 50mm and the 17-85mm is the focal length, given that you can't use an aperture of 1.8 for a landscape.

But yes, the 17-85 is much better for is shorter and wider 17mm.

The trick in sunset photography is to underexpose the sky to bring out the colours. A graduated neutral density filter is a must.

Or though you could shoot in raw and tinker in photoshop with masks and stuff.. but the result is never as good or satisfying as the ones achieved with a good filter.

Do not buy a 50mm 1.8 lens for landscape photography. In landscape you never use such big apertures. What really matters here is focal length and a wide angles are the best. Regardless of it's biggest aperture setting.

I know what the difference is. I was just stating that IF (theoretically speaking) you were to use a 50mm 1.8 in combination with a ND filter, then there's no point because you're going to end up with a slow shutter speed anyway. I mean, if youre going to be putting a filter on a 50mm, then mount it on the tripod because you can't hold it steady enough, then you might as well use a zoom lens.

My main point was that big apertures are great for low light and you wouldn't be using it to its full potential if youre stopping light from getting in (otherwise what's the point). Sorry, if what i said was misleading. Just my 2 cents on lenses with big apertures. :D


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:13 pm 
SolarSanction wrote:
big apertures are great for low light and you wouldn't be using it to its full potential if youre stopping light from getting in


I disagree for 2 reasons:

-Using a ND filter on a 50mm lens at an aperture of 1.8 is not pointless. It's useful in any situation that requires a shallow DOF and a long exposure in bright conditions.

-You just cannot use a 1.8 aperture for landscape photography (the main reason the OP wants to use it for). The picture would be completely out of focus because at F1.8 you get a shallow DOF

In landscape photography everything needs to be in focus and to achieve that you normally use apertures smaller (Higher F number) than F8, regardless of the lens used and it's focal length (unless it's an ultra wide).


Last edited by agun on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:04 am 
agun wrote:
SolarSanction wrote:
big apertures are great for low light and you wouldn't be using it to its full potential if youre stopping light from getting in


I disagree for 2 reasons:

-Using a ND filter on a 50mm lens at an aperture of 1.8 is not pointless. It's useful in any situation that requires a shallow DOF and a long exposure in bright conditions.

-You just cannot use a 1.8 aperture for landscape photography (the main reason the OP wants to use it for). The picture would be completely out of focus because at F1.8 you get a shallow DOF

In landscape photography everything needs to be in focus and to achieve that you normally use apertures smaller (Higher F number) than F8, regardless of the lens used and it's focal length.

Your first reason, being true, doesn't really apply to this situation at all because, sunsets are usually almost considered lower than daylight conditions.

I apologize for the confusion, I was merely stating the general nature of this type of lens. I'm not saying that it's a rule not to use a filter with this lens, I'm just saying that you're not using the lens to it's full potential under LOW LIGHT situations given that you're shooting anything BUT landscapes.

Nevertheless, I think we can both agree that the 50mm f1.8 isn't the ideal lens for this kind of shooting (or so I hope) :oops:


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All words, images, videos and layout, copyright 2005-2012 Gordon Laing. May not be used without permission.
/ How we test / Best Cameras / Advertising / Camera reviews / Supporting Camera Labs

Webdesign by Alphabase IT
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group