Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:48 am 
So i was trying hard to balancing ,with my legs stretched wide to rest on two jutted rocks,bent down straining my neck, trying too get these camouflaged crabs on a rock happily far away from the range of my 18-55mm, trying to get a proper frame when here comes the wretched waves which somehow decides that salt crystals on my lens will help me increase my zoom :evil: and slashesit all over me and my beloved d5000.

well it was like somebody put a long and deep scratch on your shiny new ford...iif you know what i mean.

umm... had no Idea what to do so I just switched it of and then wiped the water of the lens with my hanky ,opened the zoom at the max and tried to wipe out any water seeping into grooves and ..well thats all i could think off.

Now i have no idea what i should do ... i dont even a nikon workshop in my town (or anywhere near for that matter). all there is the guy from whom i got my camera . well i am gong to him in the evening.but if you guys could just guide on what all should i do to make sure that my camera does not become a salt shaker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:04 pm 

Sorry to hear that... :(

I'd sent the camera to Nikon for repair. Nothing might be broken, but in case there is, people at Nikon should be able to find and repair it.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:17 am 

If it only got ...Splashed....

I'd take it home and wipe with a moist cloth and dry.
I would remove whichever protection filter is on it and RINSE it first before cleaning to remove salt from it then clean it.
(RINSE to remove salt from glass so it doesn't scratch it)

If it got absolutely soaked,like dropped in the water?
I'd send it in and spend some more money on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:24 pm 
Store it in a cool and dry (dehumidifier recommended) place to avoid condensation and maybe even rust.

Leave there for a few days without batteries and it might be just fine.

If it doesn't work then you'll have to send it to nikon to get it repaired..... or use the lens for the pepper. :?

Kidding.

I hope your camera is ok. You should think about buying a nice rain cover. Or making one yourself.