Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:37 am 
hi CLF,
well we have been having a pretty misty weather these days and it is ruining all my landscape shots :x .so what do you suggest i should do ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:28 am 

Two simple choices: go back when the fog is gone, or use the fog to your advantage in the composition.

If it is light enough it is only giving contrast reduction, you can recover it to a degree in processing, but it will vary with distance.

Compacts: Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:09 am 

When you say ruining your shots, in what way?

I used the fog in these two shots to act as a backdrop and mask what would have been a distracting background.

Larger size http://www.keystrokesukimages.com/photo ... xUM-X3.jpg

Larger size http://www.keystrokesukimages.com/photo ... Ea2-X3.jpg

I let the camera do most of the work and just played with white balance and EV settings.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:26 pm 
Fog is a cloud that is in contact with the ground. A cloud may be considered partly fog; for example, the part of a cloud that is suspended in the air above the ground is not considered fog, whereas the part of the cloud that comes in contact with higher ground is considered fog.

Fog is distinguished from mist only by its density, as expressed in the resulting decrease in visibility: Fog reduces visibility to less than 1 km, whereas mist reduces visibility to no less than 1 km but less than 2 km. For aviation purposes in the UK, a visibility of less than 2 km but greater than 999 m is considered to be mist if the relative humidity is 95% or greater - below 95% haze is reported.

The foggiest place in the world is the Grand Banks off the island of Newfoundland, the meeting place of the cold Labrador Current from the north and the much warmer Gulf Stream from the south. The foggiest land areas in the world are Menomonie, Wisconsin, Point Reyes, California, and Argentia, Newfoundland and Labrador, all with over 200 foggy days per year. Even in generally warmer southern Europe, thick fog and localized fog is often found in lowlands and valleys, such as the lower part of the Po Valley and the Arno and Tiber valleys, as well as on the Swiss plateau, especially in the Seeland area, in late autumn and winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:47 am 
If the fog is too dense, you cant do much, but if it is scant, try the following:
disable noise reduction and switch to 'vivid' mode for photography. If your shots are grainy, treat them with noiseware. Dont compromise on details. Hope it helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:19 pm 

How do I handle mist & fog? I go out at night with a tripod - I love how streetlights and city lights look in the fog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:01 am 

exactly what popo said... if you want to cut it down a bit do some pp on it upping the contrast and a few other tweeks....if you can use it to your advantage though it will make for some great pics as shown by keystrokesuk's examples.

here is a really quick example using lightroom.. took about 1 min to do this so nothing spectacular. If I took the time do do some noise reduction on it it would clean it up more.

ImageImage

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr