Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:16 pm 
Hiya

Can some one give me some advice please?

I'm going on holiday in may for my 21st birthday to florida, I'm sort of new to slr photography and still getting to grips with how to use my slr properly, i have a canon 400d. I have to 18mm-55mm lens which came with the camera and also a 55mm-250mm lens

I would like to know what settings, iso, aperture, shutter speed etc would you need to use to photograph theme park rides and family photos in the daytime in the florida sunshine?

Also firework displays in the night, would bulb be the best option to use with a gorillapod? and how long should the shutter be open to capture a nice clear image?

Sorry for the ramble on, hope some one can help

Michelle x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am 
Not much help here but in broad daylight and sun shining there is no reason I can think of to go above ISO 100. Regarding apperture and shutterspeed that is dependant of the situation. Shallow DOF = low apperure number (big opening) which in turn means faste shutter. For freezing a moving subject you want to go for fast shutterspeed. If DOF or actionstopping isn't a concern I've read that an apperture of f8-f11 usually gives the best image quallity.
Regarding fireworks photography I was doing that New Years but it ended just as I got everything set up. So no experience there :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:47 am 
When shooting fireworks you need to have a tripod or a very steady place to put your camera. What i've done in the past is set up my camera on a tripod and used a remote to snap my shutter. It is the best way. You will also need to open your aperture fairly wide id say F5.6 or lower. Because you are trying to take a photograph of a quick moving subject at night, slowing the shutter too much may just blur your fireworks. Unless thats what your going after. You need to adjust the shutter and time it with how long the lights hang in the air. Dont be afraid of going into the higher iso as well. Try not to go too high as the higher you go the more noise or grain your going to see.

Here is an example of a fireworks shot I did this summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:27 pm 
Thank you for the reply to both of you :) really helped me thanks :)

@slink - wow at that fireworks picture, its stunning, hope mine turn out like that haha

x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:45 am 
Thank you Shelly,

Out of over 200 photo's of that night.. I managed to time my shutter perfectly for 3 great photo's.... determination goes a long way. :) Good luck with your shooting