Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:53 am 
hi everyone i got my new d5000 yesterday and its my first dslr .
well i am a complete noob in photography.. and though i love this camera i dont know why i get photos like these

[/url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/46195743@N08/4243013279/[url]

just look at these i don't know why they appear so dull :( :?
i mean the faces they are outright ugly.(by the way thats my younger bro who is
actually quite cute).

and these ugly black circles appear ...also if you look at the edges the flash is making the hair stand out and get highlighted with whitish look .
(ummm... i am not even able to explain properly ..see.. how bad i am)
but please pleeease help me out! :( :cry: [/u][/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:56 am 
Hi Vabhruvahan,

Welcome to the forum!

The images do not show, since they do not refer to an image-file (.jpg).

I had at the two images you tried to link to and it appears they were shot with the on-board flash.

"dull" or "exciting" or "whatever" is all a function of light. The on-board throws harsh light directly forward. The stretched skin on the cheeks , chin and forehead will throw more of that light back in the same direction. The eye-sockets, due to their shapes, will throw it in other directions.

Almost all direct single flash shots will look something like this, which is why diffusers or reflectors are often used. Alternately bounced flash - e.g. bounced off the ceiling or a wall - is used to create more flattering light.

The on-board flash is at it's best in bright daylight for what is called fill-flash. For example in harsh sunlight from above, some strong dark shadows are cast on the face under the eyebrows and under the nose, and the fill-flash will equalize the light some.

Flash-photography is a whole field in and of itself. I recommend you have a look at the tutorials section here and check out the "How to use your flash outdoors" as inspiration for how you can best utilize your on-baord flash.

There is a whole community on Flickr dedicated to flash-photography around the website www.strobist.com where you can dive into everything from basics to "holycow - 16 strobes in the middle of the Desert" crazy stuff - all looking very kewl!

Good luck!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:59 am 
Hi
I think your problem comes from the popup flash of the D5000 . It create a direct light going toward the subject , a harsh light , with hard shadows and contrast . You can try to put a whitish paper bag on top of your camera , the popup flash being inside the bag and see if your photos get a better light , smoother and more pleasing to the eye .

Good luck :)

Edit : Oops , LahLahSr answered while I was typing :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:38 am 
Stupid me ! :lol: why didn't i think of this ...such a simple reason.
thanks a ton both of you.

umm... so nothing can be done exept the paper bag(diffuser thing)? :?

also i have a lot of noise in all my photos dont know why