Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:36 pm 
Hello all!

This is my first post so I guess I'm a newbie. Thanks very much for CameraLabs and for DSLR Tips!

I recently purchased a Canon PowerShot SX200 IS, and have been learning it's capabilities. (I bought this rather than a true DSLR because of the size and convenience).

So far so good, but my question is, since this cam has no threads on the lens, are there any polarizing filter media out there that I could use in the same way that I can utilize neutral density material typically associated with lighting kits?

Yeah it's not pretty but in a pinch I can tape neutral density gel across the front of the SX200 to achieve the desired result.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:15 pm 

Welcome to the forums! I'm pretty sure you can just hold a polarizing filter in front of the lens, but unless you have 3 hands, it will not work very well (in an ergonomical sense). Also, you might be able to use a regular polarizer instead of a circular, because of the autofocusing method used. I'm not entirely sure on that one though, so don't get mad if it doesn't work.

My best advice is to head to a camera store, ask for the smallest filter they have (40 mm maybe?), and just try it. Try a regular polarizer first, and if autofocus doesn't work, try the circular.

Also, there might be adapters available for your camera but you'll have to research that yourself ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:14 pm 
Quote:
My best advice is to head to a camera store, ask for the smallest filter they have (40 mm maybe?), and just try it. Try a regular polarizer first, and if autofocus doesn't work, try the circular.

I have a fujifilm compact and havent ever tried using filters on it, although it does have a 38.1 mm thread. That doesnt sound like a standard size to me but i guess somewhere out there are 38mm filters!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:50 pm 
Thank you both, it sounds like a polarizing gel probably does not exist, which I sort of suspected.
I'll check with camera shops as you suggest, there are actually a couple of pretty good old-school shops around here that the internet hasn't driven out of business yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:51 pm 
artyshots wrote:
Thank you both, it sounds like a polarizing gel probably does not exist, which I sort of suspected.
I'll check with camera shops as you suggest, there are actually a couple of pretty good old-school shops around here that the internet hasn't driven out of business yet.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:18 am 
There are some very specific polarising filters avai.able for non-DSLR cameras. You may have a screw mount on your lens.
Zoom it out aximum and check the front of the barrel.
If you see screw threads, you should find a filter for it.
Best thing is to consult your local camera person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:21 pm 
Well . there are polarising filters for the SX10/ SX1/ SX20 IS. http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/sx10sx1.html

However, their respective lenses have lens caps. They do not automatically close as is the case with the SX200 I think. So I cannot really imagine a way to attach a polariser safely to your camera. Plus, if it would work, you would have tro take the thing on and off each time you turn your camera on or off.