Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: general DOF calculating
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:07 pm 
hi everyone!
so, the thing that i guess i wish for the most is to know the general calculations of how much space (let's say in meters) will be in focus at a certain aperture on a 50mm 1.8 canon lens. if i just knew the simple math (maybe not even that simple?), it'd be a great help...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:20 pm 

I use a calculator on the web for an indication. It's on Dyxum. It's a Sony/Minolta site, but it's not like Canon has different physical laws so should apply equally. Not sure if crop factor works in there, but even if so any difference will be small. There is a link on that page to a forum thread which goes into how the calculator came about.

Compacts: Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:28 pm 
There is another good calculator here as well:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/DOF-calculator.htm

It accounts for crop factor, as well as print size (or size of your monitor).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:39 am 
yess, well i once tried using a online calculator and saw the option where you had to select your camera and lens that's why i thought that it matters what gear ur working with, still i'm having lots of trouble understanding it and it would be a lot better if i would know when to push the aperture on let's say F10 because i calculated the distance of my focus rather than it being just a hunch and trying at F10, F8 and so on... [/quote]

Post subject: DOF Preview
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:37 pm 
In newer DSLR models, they have DOF preview button which will give fair idea of what will be in focus. I have on mine Nikon D80.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:56 am 
If you have an Iphone there is a really good app called Photocalc. I gives you DOF, Hyperfocal Dist, Circle of Confusion for your camera (a default setting), lens, and focal length. There is a flash calculator, sunrise at your current location, moon phase, and a reference library. It's really handy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:39 pm 

There's also an app for symbian smartphones called kmkdof. works great.