Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:43 am 

Hi,

In the (excellent) Camera Labs D800 review page below:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D800/Nikon_D800_vs_Phase_One_medium_format_quality.shtml

Gordon Laing 'stitched' together two D800 images to produce a 72 MP image which clearly produced additional image details.

My first question is, how did he do this? (What software and what menu options/commands?)

My second question is, did he first register the two images, and if so, how (what software + menu option/command)?

My third question is, are there any commercial software products which support sub-pixel accuracy image registration? (This would be useful for HDR, SNR stacking, and focus stacking.)

Thank you!

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rick, there was nothing clever about my technique.

I just pasted one on top of the other in Photoshop and nudged it around until it lined up!

It worked because there was nothing close, so no parallax error to worry about. It was basically a vertical panorama with just two shots.

You could use panoramic stitching software, but it was easier for me to just pop one on top of the other.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:22 pm 

Thanks again, Gordon, I'll have to give this a try!

And, thanks again for the great article - it's pretty much why I chose a D800:)

Now I have to figure out how to eval my 70-200mm VR ED ii lens, not too happy with it at apertures larger than f/5.6 (soft). It's turning out to be quite a challenge to test it properly.

Rick