Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:20 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, this is the thread for your comments and questions about entries in the June 2008 submissions.

Thanks,

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:32 am 
hey gordon i read your rule about this assignment no post processing.. does this apply to tone curve adjustments and all.. i would assume so because you can really change the look of an image using this.. but just curious.. im really excited about this.. ill have to use a lot of flash work on this one.. should be real cool!!

God i really wish my d80 didnt flash sync at 200!!! thats just annoying i could get some really cool sunset portrait shots if it synced at like 500 or higher.. oh well.. time to get thinking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:12 am 
lol Photoj, i'm pretty sure i started laughing as soon as I saw your submission. Brilliant! Yet, still comical. I think you may already have my vote, out of shear creativity!

-----
D80 +18-135mm Kit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:20 am 
Site Admin

Hi emp93, nope no curves, no levels, no nothing. Those were JC's rules...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:29 pm 

thestig2010 wrote:
lol Photoj, i'm pretty sure i started laughing as soon as I saw your submission. Brilliant! Yet, still comical.

I second that: Good thought Photoj!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:43 pm 
Ed is that a dust spot I see? :lol:

SnS 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:03 pm 
Hey emp93, just enable the Auto-FP mode in the custom-settings menu. That way you can take it all the way up to 1/4000s with flash! :shock: :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:06 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
Hey emp93, just enable the Auto-FP mode in the custom-settings menu. That way you can take it all the way up to 1/4000s with flash! :shock: :)

Does it really work properly with the SB 600 then? I'm looking into getting the D80 but the slow flash sync speed is one of the things that scares me off, and as far as I can understand it's only the SB 800 that'll let you do this trick.

> Photoj, what a brilliant and creative thought ! Love it :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:16 pm 
2610ksj wrote:
grahamnp wrote:

Does it really work properly with the SB 600 then? I'm looking into getting the D80 but the slow flash sync speed is one of the things that scares me off, and as far as I can understand it's only the SB 800 that'll let you do this trick.

> Photoj, what a brilliant and creative thought ! Love it :).

AFP works with both the SB600 and 800. It will not work with the SB400.

Thanks for all the comments on my light-hearted entry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:22 pm 
SCREAMnSHOUT wrote:

SnS 8)

I take it that was aimed at Mays entry? =P
It's not a dust spot (luckily), it's the beginning of one of the grooves in my radiator. I see how it could be mistaken though! =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:27 pm 
eddcunningham wrote:
SCREAMnSHOUT wrote:

SnS 8)

I take it that was aimed at Mays entry? =P
It's not a dust spot (luckily), it's the beginning of one of the grooves in my radiator. I see how it could be mistaken though! =)

I interpreted it as a witty comment on my June entry. Either way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:29 pm 
Actually Photoj, you're right...

This is the June Comments thread...

SnS :roll:

Edit: Replaced 'Ed' with 'Photoj' to prevent confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:17 pm 

Just got my entry for this month's theme in. Great theme by the way, and very challenging because post-processing is not allowed :( . Because last month I was too late to get the picture I had in my head, I wanted to post as soon as possible. I hope I'll win (not neccesarily this time, but sometime) because I've had a possible theme in my head for quite a while...

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:22 pm 
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
Post processing: none :( , I never upload a picture without some processing first, it's hard.

Interesting entry, Bjorn. It definitely captures a mood.

One of the concerns with the no PP ruling that hasn't been clarified is framing. I'm assuming that as the only amount of PP allowed is RAW to Jpeg conversion, framing falls foul...Can Gordon, JC, a mod please answer this one?

I for one prefer capturing quality in-camera than editing later but in certain circumstances PP has to be involved (it is digitial photography after all). The no-PP ruling seems a little backward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:00 pm 

Photoj wrote:
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
Post processing: none :( , I never upload a picture without some processing first, it's hard.

Interesting entry, Bjorn. It definitely captures a mood.

One of the concerns with the no PP ruling that hasn't been clarified is framing. I'm assuming that as the only amount of PP allowed is RAW to Jpeg conversion, framing falls foul...Can Gordon, JC, a mod please answer this one?

I for one prefer capturing quality in-camera than editing later but in certain circumstances PP has to be involved (it is digitial photography after all). The no-PP ruling seems a little backward.

Good spot, Ed. I'll leave Gordon to make a definitive ruling about framing, but I think it may well be outside the spirit of this month's rule that for "the June assignment post processing is not allowed".

Not something I would have bothered to do but your post prompted me to look at the image inside Bjorn's frame. As far as I can tell, and I may be a few pixels out, the dimensions are 476x328 pixels. With the A700 sensor having a 3:2 aspect ratio a height of 328 pixels should give a width of 492 pixels so the image within the frame would appear to have been slightly cropped.

@Bjorn I know this is really picky but as JC has set the rules would you either set me straight in my analysis or consider resubmitting your entry, if only to make life easier for us poor old Mods who might have to start adjudicating on dozens of entries if you open this particular door. :?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next