Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:15 am 
Hey photoj,

no, I don't mind at all - I am extremely receptive and appreciative of your input and the time you take to consider it :-)

I can definitely see what you mean, now that I read your comment and I agree completely. It's my serious opinion that I don't have "the eye" for it - gimme a bunch of lego-bricks and 3 different colored flashlights and I'm OK..or perhaps a "gimme" in the shape of a beautiful animal in great light..lol. A landscape however..

But practice, practice and more practice - aided by good advice such as yours - and I might improve.

Thanks again!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:34 pm 
Alex168,

To get your link to work, remove the little bit after the JPEG, but before you do so, please resize your photo to a maximum length of 500 pixels to fit on the forum's frame. The larger size at the moment has allowed me a closer inspection of your entry. I hope you don't mind me giving some feedback over your composition in your image as I have already done for a few entries this month.

It's an interesting composition of a night shot. You definitely had the D40X fixed to something stable and technically the DoF at f13 gives a crisp image. In fact technically, I do think you're very capable as you've got your aperture fully blown and a good f-stop for night photography. However the crispness is marred by ISO 800 (I realise you were trying it out). Reserve upping your ISO for handholding indoors, or conditions where you need to reduce your shutter speed. For night shots, shutter speeds are long, so leave your ISO at the lowest in the future to get minimal noise. There's a fair amount of noise on your image.

Away from technicalities, you've broken the rule of thirds - although breakable, in this composition breaking it doesn't quite work. There's too much dark sky where I would rather be seeing more water and reflections. Perhaps position your tripod and camera much lower to the ground to capture more water, reflections and less sky.

You could crop out, or clone out the object on the bottom left of the frame to clear out clutter.

Colour-wise, you've only the lamps, and they are a little yellow. Was this the colour in real life? I'm not totally convinced and think it's a white balance issue. To get a bit more colour in, maybe a shot at dusk with a sun-setting sky?

Finally - you have three dust spots - one across the left barrier that's across the water at the back of the frame, one above and between the two light towers, and then one to the right and slightly above the last one.

I'm no expert in photography (I don't think anyone is - we are all learning) but those were the things I instantly picked up when I saw your photo.

I hope you find this useful. All the best.

EDIT: altered advice on the linking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:53 pm 

Photoj wrote:
Alex168,

To get your link to work, remove the little bit after the JPEG, so it reads like this inside the [img] brackets:

http://lh3.google.com/alexander.blacker ... C_0007.jpg

Yes and No! The image width breaks the On Assignment guidelines. Resize it to comply with the 500 pixels longest dimension requirement.

Other than in the On Assignment thread the forum recommended maximum is 700 pixels but if possible try for 500. Anything wider than 700 pixels breaks the forum formatting. :evil:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:53 pm 
Yeah the camera was fixed on a minture tripod that i bring out for those quick walks just in case i need to lean the camera on something and its wet! I totaly agree with you about the noise in the image its crazy! But it sure could be alsto not saying it wasnt the ISO, but it was relativly foggy out, maybe u can notice at the back of the image.

I dont mind any feed back at all, that why i posted my image so i can learn how to take better images!

I didnt knw about the rule of thirds but now i sure do :), the thing there is well i sure could have gotten into a boat and gotten an amazing image i think, but there is this lill walk that sticks out where u can walk out and i was looking around i could have climbed down 1 meter i think but it was a bit to slippery and i didnt want to risk it :P

I agree about the object on the bottom left/right of the image, they shouldnt be there :P but i wanted to take a natural pictures as possible, and that was the only angel where or the positioning of the camera where i got the least amount of objects showing.

I m actualy quite good when it comes to the laps, the lamps are both HPS (high pressure sodium) lamps and MH (Metal Halide) lamps these lamps go from very very dark yellow to almost red depending on the angel of vison, while the MH lamps have a very intese but very close to blue spectrum.

Thanx for the time spent on the feedback i think its great and you have made me realise things that i didnt see at first. Thanx Photoj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:54 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Photoj wrote:
Alex168,

To get your link to work, remove the little bit after the JPEG, so it reads like this inside the [img] brackets:

http://lh3.google.com/alexander.blacker ... C_0007.jpg

Yes and No! The image width breaks the On Assignment guidelines. Resize it to comply with the 500 pixels longest dimension requirement.

Other than in the On Assignment thread the forum recommended maximum is 700 pixels but if possible try for 500. Anything wider than 700 pixels breaks the forum formatting. :evil:

Bob.

allright 700 will be the biggest, but now the link is just up so that is no problemo i hope? but its good to know for future reference!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:55 pm 
Hey alex168 i love the picture, what you need to do is remove the following...

?imgmax=912

so that you end up with...

http://lh3.google.com/alexander.blacker/R718O3YuAUI/AAAAAAAAACg/QCh9wIDWaF0/DSC_0007.jpg

to make you link end in .jpg

great pic to!

Edit-i deleted an incorrect statment

Last edited by Tomis on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:01 pm 

Tomis wrote:
...P.S. no need for the image brackets :arrow: [Img]- and a thanks to bob for pointing that out to me :D

No, what I was pointing out was that there is a 500 pixel height and width limit for On Assignment submissions and a recommended limit of 700 pixels elsewhere (but 500 is preferred) as more breaks forum formatting! [img]..[/img] brackets should be used if an image is to be displayed rather than linked to.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Last edited by Bob Andersson on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:02 pm 
oh sorry again :oops: maybe its best if i just stop talking :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:03 pm 
yes! new entries! :D

roland, interesting combination of daylight and darkness in your pic. i felt the cool of the day just watching it!

khol, thats sweden alright :wink: do you have pictures of boats when they are taken out of the docks and stocked on the parking lots? i always wanted to capture those masts standing in straight lines

dangard, i had taken similar pictures to yours for this assignment but they looked really bad because i was to far away fom the cars... nice colors

Quentin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:10 pm 

Thankyou Quentin.

I'm new to this forum and it's my first ever Photo posted here :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:51 am 
Site Admin

Great shots so far everyone!

patti - glad to see you posting one - I thought you might miss it! I'm always fond of flattened perspective landscapes with telephotos...

As for the critique, I think Luis did it last time as 'Love' was his assignment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:12 am 
Quentin, here in sweden they take of the mats when they are on land :P

so that view is rather hard to get unless they are all docked...i live close to a minor dock/port and all the botas r standing around next to the water ruining all my good spots for the water...

Khol, i really like that shot! that is svenska skärgården for me, its got that typical farmish/skärgård feeling to, that you dont get here down in southern sweden! Great shot, i like the composition of the shot as well :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:22 am 
You made it then patti with 3 days to go..... talk about cutting it fine, I noticed that about a third of the way up from the bottom of your photo some bright objects would that be cars on the "Ventura Highway"....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:40 am 
Hey Alex, thanks a lot.
You did a good job yourself with that canal-photo. Where did you get that shot?
Seem like the image is removed from flickr?

You should go to Bokskogen. Some impressive forest-picture can be taken there.
Or Kullen (Mölle) and get some nice pictures. I can imagine some kind of panorama with the lighthouse in the foreground and the horizon in the background with a sunset.

or, if you find your way to the Mölle golfcourse, and walk to the 8:th tee. There you have a fantastic view towards Mölle, Höganäs etc. I think you can get some fantastic shots there a good day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:04 am 
I am waiting for spring to Really kick in to go to bokskogen, i gotta go and check out that golf thingy tho, with the loughhouse and whot not sounds just amazing, make a whole day out if it! I got some freinds whom are rather intrested in photography as well and they have a car so might share a few words with them!

That kanal is just a few meters away from here, its down in Ljunghusen in Vellinge Komun. Its located on Swedens "näset" so to speak, the most south west on the map, that lill "boot" that sticks out on the map. I will upload those images to flickr, i recently changed from picasa to flickr because i ahve was having a hard time getting my images over here!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next