Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:20 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

Vote for your favorite entry!
Poll ended at Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:03 am
robbon44 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
EvanK 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
darthkindy 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
HikingMike 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
warth man 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
mikeroch 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
4xxxx 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
lagnificent 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 16
 Post subject: July 2012 Submissions
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:35 pm 

Hi everyone! Welcome to July's Assignment!

The theme for this month is "Nationalism", as suggested by dingo27mobile who won the May 2012
competition. Be sure to read the whole post for the rules.

In dingo27mobile's own words:
    "Shoot something you like about your country most, you think it best describes your country, or is symbolic to your country. There are people from all over the world, let's see what you like most from your country.
    Rules are simple, basic editing is welcomed, basic HDR welcomed. No photomontages or funky colorful HDR please, it must be a picture made with camera."

The rules!

1: You can only submit one image and it MUST be taken during July 2012. Photos taken earlier will be disqualified!

2: All images submitted must be no more than 1024 pixels on their longest side, although you can include a link to a
full resolution version if you like. Flickr users must link back to the original version to comply with its latest rules.

As always, please exercise good judgement on what is suitable for the forum. Keep it clean and family-friendly or it'll
be removed. See the Forum Rules for guides.

Please include a sentence or two with your photo describing what you were trying to achieve and if there were any
particular challenges in doing so like, for example, any special exposure or lighting setup.

We're all enthusiasts here, so it's also great to see what equipment you used and the settings too. So please also
include the following:

Camera Model:
Lens and focal length:
Aperture:
Shutter Speed:
Sensitivity:
Post processing:

Submissions will close at midnight GMT on 31st July 2012. The final poll will follow.

Please remember this thread is for submissions only. If you'd like to comment on any of the submissions or ask any
questions, please do so in the July 2012 Comments and Questions thread!

Thanks and good luck!

Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:52 am 

ok here we go.

I am from the UK. I loved the UK and support everything about it but im not that patriotic about it. It has just become too over crowded and i felt completely over powered by it, so we moved.

We moved to a country with a population of less than 4.4million. I live in a place where there is over 40km2 per person.

We moved to a country of outstanding natural beauty and most importantly space. Space to live, to breathe and feel free.

I am a geologist and an engineer, i love the outdoors and the world around me especially knowing that here the country is still geologically evolving.

I love the country i live in and it has given me the elbow room i needed to live. I am very proud to be considered a local now in our new country, our new home.

NZ Room to Breathe by robbon44, on Flickr

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:00 am 

I wasn't entirely sure what to submit for this month's "On Assignment" competition. I've essentially lived my entire life in Canada, and have been fortunate enough to visit its vastness all the way from west-coast Vancouver to the eastern Maritime provinces and Qu├ębec. Living in Winnipeg, what would be considered not only the dead centre of not only the country but also North America in essentially the middle of nowhere, at times it can be difficult to find something new and refreshing around here to photograph.

Fortunately, when construction of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights began in April of 2009, suddenly photo opportunities seemed to shoot out of nowhere. The museum's unique and eye-catching design adds character and appeal to the city's downtown area, and being the first national museum outside of Canada's capital, Ottawa, it became not only something of interest but also a landmark.

What made me choose to use a photo of the museum and why I believe that it represents Canada, is because of its ability to improve Canadians' awareness for human rights and the need for respect amongst all people, not only Canadians, but all citizens of the world. It's Canada's sense of the need for human rights and the necessary work that needs to be done that makes me proud of my homeland, and why I'm proud to be a Canadian.

The Canadian Museum for Human Rights against the Winnipeg skyline
July 1st (Canada Day), 2012

Camera Model: Nikon D7000
Lens and focal length: Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR @ 26mm
Aperture: f/9
Shutter Speed: 1/200, 1/400, 1/800
Sensitivity: ISO 200
Post processing: HDR'd using Photomatix Pro

Link to original image: Canadian for Human Rights on my Flickr

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Last edited by EvanK on Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:26 am 

my submision i like may nation because of girls like this hot sexy and full of life
standered shot with flash to bring out the face and a little contrast in photoshop

[url][/url]Image
DSC_6286 (Large) by darthkindy, on Flickr
[url][/url]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:58 pm 

I think I could have done better but getting ready to go to California for training then Afghanistan. Brigadier General Pittard, 1st Armored Division Commander
BG Pitard by 501BSB, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:08 am 

An English Rose. With a foreign name. We still don't always limit our horizons. And our gardens can still be envied.
As can our weather. This was our sunny moment two weeks ago.

Rosa Crown Princess Margareta 2012 by warth man, on Flickr

Post subject: Crathes castle YETT
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:11 pm 

If you thought a Friday night in Glasgow was dangerous, you should have tried Scotland in the 16th century! Crathes Castle in Aberdeenshire built in 1596 is a massive tower-house castle designed to discourage the neighbours should they get a mite frisky and bent on a spot of pillage. The YETT is a small and heavily defended solid oak door studded with nails .... indeed it's the only door giving access to the interior. Inside it there is a second line of defense, a massive iron grille ... just in case the neighbours were to set fire to the door itself. Before the age of television and the Internet, Scots would amuse themselves in this manner.

We have several Heritage organisations in UK that strive to preserve our history for future generations and it pleases me to support them. I am constantly impressed not only by the originality of the castles' designs, but also by the resourcefulness and determination of our ancestors in creating such enduring symbols.

Canon Powershot G10 ISO100 1/250th sec @ f.8
PP: Crop, adjust contrast and colour balance, downsize.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:14 am 

There are many things in an oz life style we feel good about, where I live it's sunny and warm most days even in winter with the green and gold of our city with an outdoor life style. The green of the national parks and rain forests behind the golden beaches. You can sit on a beach with hundreds like Surfers Paradise or sit on a beach with few people on it like Diamond Cove at the end of an expansive beach.

Diamond Cove Cabarita mid winter @ 20c

Camera Model: Nikon D7000
Lens and focal length: 18-200mm VRII @ 18mm
Aperture: f13
Shutter Speed: 1/100
Sensitivity: ISO 200 & -0.7EV, CPL used
Post processing: Lighten shadows & crop

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:31 pm 

Fast food and drive thru's. You can find anything in a drive thru here.

IMG_3451fixed3 by bkslopper, on Flickr

Canon 50D and a 40mm pancake

(Not my first choice for this month, see comments and questions.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:05 am 

AUG 1ST - Submiussions are now closed, it is time to vote for your favorite!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:04 pm 

AUGUST 22ND - The poll is closed, and... we have a draw! Congratulations to robbon44 and 4xxxx for winning this Assignment, we look forward to your theme suggestion!

- Bjorn -

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]