Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Suggestions for themes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, please post your suggestions for the next theme here!

Note, the theme for November has already been set!

Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:29 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi everyone, please post your suggestions for the next theme here!

Note, the theme for November has already been set!

Gordon

Has it... where??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:33 am 
Oooooopppppsss too quick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:33 am 
Site Admin

I thought the general consensus was a water theme, and more speficially a 'glass of water'!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:52 pm 
To introduce a more personal element into our assignments, possibly we could have something like 'portrait'? This could be kept very undefined, to include individual or groups, self portraits - even animals?

Roland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:13 pm 
How about Railways as a theme... 'cos thats my thing and I would love to see trains from all different parts of the world, anything will do steam, modern image (diesel, electric) even Gordon could enter, would make a change from that lake, mountain and the boat with red sails that never moves :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:42 pm 

Defiant wrote:
How about Railways as a theme.. ..even Gordon could enter, would make a change from that lake, mountain and the boat with red sails that never moves :oops:

Hmm, does Queenstown have a railway? I don't remember seeing it. It does have a nice steam ship however. I think you need to get yourself and the 40D down to NZ, Roy, though trains are pretty thin on the ground there. Just those boring lakes and mountains! :lol:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Roy, sadly most of the railways here are no more. The Government sold them off, then the owners sold them for scrap!

There's one line which runs from Wellington to Auckland on the North Island, and some goods lines which contine south from Picton at the top of the South Island. And of course a handful of mass transit services in the biggest cities.

Down where I am, the closest railway is a tourist jaunt running out of the rather beautiful Dunedin station a few hours away. Actually I tell a small lie - there's also a steam train which does a tourist run of a few miles from Kingston at the other end of Lake Wakatipu.

It's called The Kingston Flyer and I do have a couple of snaps, but they're not very good! I do however have some other railway shots from foreign lands, so I may be able to enter!

I think it's a great idea for a future assignment, although perhaps for December we should have a holiday theme. It doesn't have to be Christmas for those who don't observe it. Perhaps December Holidays?

What does everyone think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:51 pm 
That sounds like a good one to me.. i'm gettin my new camera for Christmas so i can try er' out. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:46 am 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Defiant wrote:
How about Railways as a theme.. ..even Gordon could enter, would make a change from that lake, mountain and the boat with red sails that never moves :oops:

Hmm, does Queenstown have a railway? I don't remember seeing it. It does have a nice steam ship however. I think you need to get yourself and the 40D down to NZ, Roy, though trains are pretty thin on the ground there. Just those boring lakes and mountains! :lol:

Bob.

Are you offering to pay for air fare as I am now a poor pensioner :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:52 am 

Defiant wrote:
...Are you offering to pay for air fare as I am now a poor pensioner :lol:

Err, no! :lol: The cost of getting there is the big downer, unfortunately, and to do it justice you need at least a month. Holiday of a lifetime really. During my visit one couple were cheerfully admitting that they were spending the kid's inheritance. :shock: :evil:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:28 am 
Does the railway have to be a real one? If not, those in areas without railways could take pictures of those model trains although they aren't half as interesting IMO. The railways close to where I live are protected by two fences on either side both with barbed wire! :shock: I suppose a better photographer than myself would be able to find a way to make a shot nice regardless of the protection. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:27 pm 
Yea I second Gordon's suggestion on December Holidays !

Only Train here has been decom 6 months back !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:46 pm 
Railways as a theme would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:10 pm 
Oops I seem to have skimmed over the bit where Gordon mentions December holidays as a theme. I think that's a great idea and very relevant to the time of year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next