Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Camera books/courses
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:39 pm 
I'm looking to improve my photographic skills. I consider myself an intermediate photographer. I'm familiar with most of the functions on my DSLR and I'm comfortable shooting in manual mode, having spent a few years as a teenager shooting photographs with a manual.

Does anyone have any course (online preferably) or book that they can recommend? I would like stuff dealing with composition (more advanced stuff than the usual rule of 1/3), lighting, and generally more advanced aspects of photography that I might not be aware off.

p.s. I'm know that it's impossible to get a grip of what I am or am not aware off, so I'll round this off by asking do you have any good books or courses that you can recommend? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:00 pm 
I do not have any good books or courses to offer you but I will say that I feel my photography has improved a lot since I started submitting to DPC and taking onboard some of the comments / criticism that comes with it.

It's not a true representation of how good / bad your work is though but if you want to score well you will have to adapt to the very specific criteria of the voters. What this makes me do is try and think how "they" will score each shot I have for any given challenge, I then consider them to be my client so I try to do the best for that client as I can.

I have had a few images bomb there and have another one doing rather badly right now lol but I have not had as much time available for the last couple of weeks as things have been hectic at home (my eldest daughter has been really poorly and been to the hospital a couple of times but looks to be coming out the other side of it now).

Take the scores as they come, take the critique and apply it where you think it will improve your photography and it's a very good resource, but if (like I initially did) you start getting too attached to your photos you can very easily become a bit disheartened. I have now got to the stage where whatever score I get so be it, as long as I learn something from each challenge then it is worthwhile to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:41 pm 
Sounds good, but what's DPC? TLAs make my head hurt :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:43 pm 
www.dpchallenge.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:05 pm 
Thanks! I've booked marked that site and I'm now working on some entries :)