Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Celibrating
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:59 am 

Friends,
Because of the political implications I have neglected to tell everyone that I was in the US Air Force. Well I just retired after 24 years of service to my country. I left England and moved back to the USA. With retirement I took about a 70% cut in pay. I left England and took my first month off to get a place to live and got my 13 year old daughter back in school. My wife and I were hoping for me to get a job that would allow her to stay home and be a domestic goddess (A.K.A. Housewife). Well Monday I went out job hunting and today I interviewed for a position and was offered the job. The job is a Server System Administrator and it pays enough (with my retirement) to allow my wife to stay home. I know this is a forum about photography, but everyone here seems like great people and I needed to tell someone. (Please delete if not appropriate)

Jerri

Canon EF 75-300
Canon Speedlite 430EX Flash
Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod
Manfrotto 804RC2 Head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:03 am 
Jerri,

First and foremost, thank you for your service. Please forgive my informal approach, as I'm a bit inexperienced when it comes to this sort of thing.

It's great to hear that everything is settled and normalized for you. I only hope for the best in the upcoming future for you and your family :) .

Thanks for sharing this post with us, as it also shows us a side of you, and how you add to this great forum community.

Best wishes,
-Sean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:48 am 
Big time pacifics here, and i believe no one wins in wars there are just looser, just my comment on war and all

But congratulations on the work, its strange how great it feels to get a job and to get a nice one, i actually did a bit of research on this, and people enjoy getting jobs so much because they dont feel useless!

But jobs are great, they take a bit of time of from your normal life and make you come down to earth! I hope you enjoy this job and hope your wife gives u a nice supper every night :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:31 am 

Thanks Guys,
Alex, no one hates war more than the person that has to go fight it. However we must have a military force or other countries would invade. People are the same everywhere. Governments are the problem. This multinational forum is a great example of that. It is a great place to see that no matter where we are we have things in common.

Jerri

Canon EF 75-300
Manfrotto 804RC2 Head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:18 am 

I want to be a domestic goddess...where do I apply?

rogersit. So pleased to see that you are home, and that your career is changing directions, sounds like this coming year will be phenomenal.
I am with you on the caliber of folks on the Cameral Labs...sometimes, it just does your heart good, to see that someone a zillion miles away, despite governments, and political views, can see the real person...I have marveled at this place, more then once. When we look thru the lens, we all are the same.
(even the Nikonians). Especially the Nikonians.

Expecting some great shots from you!

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:36 pm 

rogersjt wrote:
Thanks Guys,
Alex, no one hates war more than the person that has to go fight it. However we must have a military force or other countries would invade. People are the same everywhere. Governments are the problem. This multinational forum is a great example of that. It is a great place to see that no matter where we are we have things in common.

Jerri

cheers to that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:37 pm 
Congratulations on finding what you are looking for. And thank you for wanting to share it us. I hope you will find the time to have a wee dram of that Lagavulin in your avatar. One of my favorites. Slainte Mhath! (Good Health). :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:20 am 

Thanks Guys. It is great to know that that chapter of my life has closed and the next chapter has a good start.

javavibe
I cracked the seal on a freash bottle of 16 year Wednesday. I also have a unopened bottle of Distillers Choice I picked up at the distillery. My wife took me to the distillery for a tour last November. Slainte Mhath to you also.

Canon EF 75-300
Manfrotto 804RC2 Head

Post subject: Congrats
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:07 pm 
Congrats Jerri from this side of the pond :)

By the way, where were you stationed? I have spent many happy hours at the US airforce base in Mildenhall watching and photographing their excellent airshow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:04 pm 

HairyFrog,
I was at Mildenhall from 2004-2007 and Alconbury in Huntingdon from 2008-1 Sept. We loved England. Great people and a beautiful place to live. We lived in Thetford while at Mildenhall. Hated the A11 at Elvedon. They need to make that dual carrageway.

Canon EF 75-300
Manfrotto 804RC2 Head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:39 pm 
Jerri: I love England too, but have never been able to go :cry: I grew up on British television and can recite most shows from the 70's and early 80's from memory. I wanted to let you know also, that there is a photo club I belong to here in Dayton that meets once a month. It's always a good time so if you're interested, post back or email me! (And remember to watch out for Daleks)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:45 pm 
NurseDiesel1 wrote:
I grew up on British television

I feel your pain ;)

English TV oh dear you poor thing - it has to be some of the worst watching in the world surely? Well apart from "The apprentice", "Dragons Den" and "Master Chef", hmm need to keep that last one quiet haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:00 pm 
Mark A: Graham Chapman is responsible for my personality (disorders thereof) and sense of humor. I can't live without Python! Loved Fawlty Towers, Doctor Who, AbFab (of course), all of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries, and does anyone remember a show called "Doctor in the House?" The main character's name was Dr. Wearing I believe. Can't even find that one on DVD anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:01 pm 
Mark-A wrote:
NurseDiesel1 wrote:
I grew up on British television

I feel your pain ;)

English TV oh dear you poor thing - it has to be some of the worst watching in the world surely? Well apart from "The apprentice", "Dragons Den" and "Master Chef", hmm need to keep that last one quiet haha.

Indeed some of it is bad. But in general I would have to disagree with you. :wink:

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:35 pm 
Dad's army, Only Fools and Horses, Blackadder, Yes (Prime) Minister, It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Porridge, The Good Life, Open All Hours, The Vicar of Dibley, 'Allo 'Allo, Men Behaving Badly, Red Dwarf, Father Ted, To the Manor Born, Not the Nine O'Clock News, Man About the House, Chef, The Thin Blue Line, etc. etc. And that's just some of the comedy line-up.

In the drama department.... from recent years..... Rome was quite an impressive production. And one of my favourites was Foyle's War.

There are worse things than English television. :)

Ben