Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:29 pm 
I am sorta interested in hearing some of the stories you all have, I have been a youtube subscriber for Gordons videos for awhile, I'd thought I'd finally register here.

Anyways here is my story, I am a photojournalist, take photos for newspapers and magazines, I do a lot of action sports, I was at the Dew tour in the USA in Orlando Florida, there were about a dozen photographers all together on the media team, and we were all shooting and looking thru our viewfinders where all of a sudden I see this skateboard come out from no where traveling insanely fast and just nails this guys 600mm canon lens and flash and totally shatters and snaps of the flash, if it was me, I would be crying, since all my equipment is self bought, my occupation supplies nikons and im a canon junkie, so I would have been screwed, this guy took it extremely well, he just called up B&H and had a new one fedexed down next day, he already have a few flashes, it is amazing how one can just order a 7 grand lens and get it next day in a heart beat. .

luckly nothing has happened to me yet, I treat all my camera's better than girlfriends, treat them as my kids! =]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:42 am 
Site Admin

Blimey, I can't beat that! Although there was that story of the tour-de-france media team who's van burnt down, melting a ton of very pricey photographic equipment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:21 am 
my first camera broke because since it was a P&S and I kept if my back pocket... then I set on it and it broke.haha. It was for the best though since I would have never have gotten into photography had that camera not broken.

I will be sure not to put my D200 in my back pocket.lol. I think I am ordering it this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:07 am 
That sounds awful, I wonder if the guy got a shot of the skateboarder coming at him?

I read about a guy who had his tripod + camera, lens and flash held over his shoulder when the tripod's quick release plate came loose.

You would need to have some big back pockets to fit your d200 in Nathan! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:02 am 
aww man i know exactly how that happens I had my GL2, back when it was 3 grand and I did the same and it almost fell but i pulled a matrix and saved it. thank god.

grahamnp wrote:
That sounds awful, I wonder if the guy got a shot of the skateboarder coming at him?

I read about a guy who had his tripod + camera, lens and flash held over his shoulder when the tripod's quick release plate came loose.

You would need to have some big back pockets to fit your d200 in Nathan! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:29 pm 
Just look at this :shock: !!!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonperks/230997878/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:11 pm 

Luckily all i've ever broke was a friends old compact camera :-)
We were gonna take a group photo with timer shoot, so we put the cam on a little table, start the countdown and stand ready to get the picture taken. Seconds before it fires, it tilts backwards falling down from the table, and taking the picture in the very moment it falls over the edge.
Afair the camera actually worked afterwards, it just made some really weird sounds. And as i recall the picture ended up being quite cool :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:10 am 
HP was encouraging people to throw their camera's into the air to get interesting shots. Maybe they were hoping people would come back to them and buy a new one once the cameras hit the ground.

Last edited by grahamnp on Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:58 am 
I connected my D80 to an internet cafe PC while in greece, and the USB port fried the camera. The screen wouldnt come on, and the lcd on the top wasnt giving me any info at all. Luckily it was still under warranty and there was no evidence it was my fault in any way, and it was fixed under warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:25 am 
Well :(
My most recent foray into equipment loss is:
With my hands full and in a rush to put my young son into his car seat, I placed my ever faithful Canon PowerShot SD450 on the roof of the Jeep. Well being completely distracted by everything at the time I neglected to put the camera back in my pocket! We backed out and drove off and about a 1/4 mile later; "Did you hear that?" We stop the car, get out, look around and AH!!! It was the camera!! And sure enough it was toast, cracked right down the middle.
A royal bummer, that camera was totally awesome and took some excellent photos, plus I learned SO MUCH about exposure and HDR with it.
Here is a parting shot [-2, 0,+2 EV HDR merge] for due respect

EDIT!
This camera has been fixed!!!!
I figured I had nothing to lose so I took it apart. There was this loose plate, like a shield that feel out. With the back taken off I turned the camera on and to my surprise it worked. I carefully slide this loose plate together with the back and voila! it's back in service. It's really banged up on the outside, but I am stoked to have it back.

Last edited by Jim Hawksworth on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:38 am 
End of summer party. Two buddies wanted to sumo wrestle (we'd had a few). We take it out into the front yard. I'm snapping pics with a Canon A75 and got run into by my friends. No broken camera on soft grass, right? Actually, in the enormous front yard, I happened to be standing on a sewer cover, and the camera fell straight down onto the lens, pushing it up into the sensor.

I kept the camera, and it came in handy just today! I've had two Canon points and shoots since, but today got a used 20D. Problem was, the CF card I ordered hasn't come yet, and the other two point and shoots use SD cards. So I went into the camera drawer we have at home and found my busted old A75. Open it up and, low and behold, there's a 128MB CF card with some really funny sumo wrestling pictures on it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:28 am 
ANYBODY WHO THINKS A LENS HOOD WON'T PROTECT YOUR LENS IS VERY WRONG.

I just about broke my Sigma 17-35mm EX when I had it on a tripod I accidently realeased the wuick release instead of turning the knob to turn it vertical and it fell straight on the lens. fortunetely I had the lens hood on and it broke the hood and the hood broke the fall. the lens is completely undamaged! thanks god I was about to go crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:39 am 
Nathan wrote:
ANYBODY WHO THINKS A LENS HOOD WON'T PROTECT YOUR LENS IS VERY WRONG.

I just about broke my Sigma 17-35mm EX when I had it on a tripod I accidently realeased the wuick release instead of turning the knob to turn it vertical and it fell straight on the lens. fortunetely I had the lens hood on and it broke the hood and the hood broke the fall. the lens is completely undamaged! thanks god I was about to go crazy.

i havnt yet had any problems (ive only had my camera for 5 days lol) but i hope i never do.. i treat it like its my baby i always have the neck strap on and hold on to it with my life :P but with my old compact i dropped it and the dial that changes settings was so sensitive i could touch it and not even turn it and it would just randomly switch setting.. a bit annoying actually :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:41 am 
My first camera was a old film nikon (this was 15 or so years ago) and I just got it. being a kid and wanting to play, I left the camera on a park table, played then went home. the next day i went back to the park to find the camera still on the table!!! in about 1000000000000000 pieces!! the other kids in the park found it and played base ball with it :cry: :cry:
to this day I don't like base ball. on the upside I went to Good Will and got another one. I was a cheap kid. :lol: 8) :lol:
Now I keep the camera in a bag and its always with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:18 pm 
a matter of days after I got my E-400 (October 2007 ish) I was at a friend's house, he has a Canon Eos 350D, he had his 70-300mm lens attached, at the tinme I only had my 14-42mm kit lens, Josh asked me to hand it to him, as I trusted him, I did, then he placed my lens on the front of his and started arsing around with it, it ended with him dropping my lens on a gravel path. Luckily nothing bounced up and damaged the front as I had the hood on, but there were some little nicks in the bottom of the barrel, and because I am of a fastidious nature, I was very annoyed, I hate things with scratches or nicks or dents in anything, and toyed with the idea of geting some glass paper and filing out the scratches.