Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:04 am 
I was just curious...what kind of cameras do professionals use, such as Anne Geddes? and the paparazzi use? sport photographers?

And can a sub $1000 camera create photos like Anne Geddes? ; (with practice)?

thx!

:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:18 am 
John Freeman, author of Taking Great Photographs wrote:
A professional with a disposable 35mm film camera can take far greater shots than a person who knows absolutely nothing about cameras with the most expensive SLR camera.

But to answer your question, most of us use dSLR cameras. These cameras provide greater flexibility with its more advanced manual controls than most compacts with their automatic settings. However, it must be noted that many semi-pro (in between) compacts now have a mix of manual and automatic controls.

John Freeman, author of Taking Great Photographs also wrote:
Henri Cartier Bresson, the famous French photographer, used a rangefinder type camera.

Just my $0.02.

SnS 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:21 am 
i like your quote scream...now how about the brands of cameras..i know many professionals use DSLrs...but what brand...? Anne Geddes uses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:26 am 
Most of the time, you can't be purely judging a camera by its brand. People may have preferred interfaces and features which only certain brands possess.

At the same time, if you have a camera from a "more popular" brand, it might be better for long term dedication.

If you're seeking to purchase a camera, it would always be the best idea to feel the camera, try one out, and see which has the best 'touch' to your skin, and which ones you like more.

But of course with different brands of lenses only working with their own brand of DSLRs (certain lens manufacturers produce lenses which are compatible with other brands, with possible limitations), you should stick to a brand of DSLRs as long as required so you can use your lenses with different cameras of the same brand.

I hope I have not been teaching the wrong thing.

SnS 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:30 am 
thx scream for your reply...but I'm just asking in general what professional photographers such as Anne Geddes, the paparazzi, sport photographers use; in terms of the brand they use...?

*off topic, though...I am looking for my first DSLR..and i appreciate your advice scream...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:33 am 
Canon and Nikon...... are the 2 used most by professional sports photographers....... there may be other preferences by other pro photographers some use Hasselblad or Mamiya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:37 am 
As Big Pix mentioned, Canon and Nikon can safely be assumed as the most popular DSLR brands - just see how many posts there are in their forums below.

They are good in the sense that they possess heritage quality, and a wider range of lenses and accessories than most other brands.

SnS 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:48 am 

And as Ansel Adams the great american photographer of the west once said:

"A good photo is knowing where to stand"

As for the pros, nikons and canons mainly, the nikon D3s and canon 1d mk###.

I myself prefer canon, but I want to shoot sports, and in terms of semi pro, canon had the makret for fastest shooting (until the d300)

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:34 am 
And now CASIO have the fastest shooting one with a whopping 60 FPS....

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:26 am 

LahLahSr wrote:
And now CASIO have the fastest shooting one with a whopping 60 FPS....

Cheers :-)

1200fps (super lo res though) but its not an slr. so not what the pros use

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:44 am 

My guess on some pro camera's:
- Nikon D2x, D3
- Canon 1D (Mk II and III), 1Ds (also Mk II, III), maybe 5D too, 30D and 40D
- Hasselblad (with some of those really cool Carl Zeiss lenses (300mm F2 for example)).
- Mamiya
- Something ridiculously expensive such as this

I've got to stop now, my dad wants to use the computer :(

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject: Pro camera
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:04 pm 
I would guess which camera depends on the application - when I hang out at Bolsa Chica, at least 90 percent of the people are using Canon DSLR's. I've counted. But it's really a different scene for news photogs, who I guess would be big on Nikon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:53 pm 
80% professionals use Canon.. well this is due to the reason that Canon is been doing full frame for a long time.. and these 80% pro choice is 1Ds, 1D series and 5D. many wedding photographers have 5D.

Ofcourse you can take the best picture using a under $1000 camera. You just need to have an eye of photography and be on the right place at the right time..

Why pro's then dont use the $1000 camera?
cz they count on these kits for their living and every picture should have to be ideal and even if they are not at the right place they need to get it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:34 pm 
ehm this one is kinda pricey

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... amera.html

Post subject: pro choices
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:11 pm 
echo what others have said but I would add that the pro's also need something durable as they will shoot many more shots than your average amateur - I believe the high end cams have shutters that last for more shots than your hobbyist dslr.

Things like weather proofing come into it as well, but some low end models have that now as well.

Bottom line is there's nothing stopping you from taking a pro level pic with your average dslr ...apart from in my case lack of talent!