Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:44 am

All times are UTC

Which DSLR manufacturer has the best naming system?
Canon 40%  40%  [ 14 ]
Nikon 37%  37%  [ 13 ]
Pentax 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Olympus 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Sony 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Samsung 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Panasonic 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Leica 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Sigma 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 35
 Post subject: Best naming system?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:18 pm 
What do you think?

Hardly the most important aspect of the camera, but I think Canon has by far the best system and Nikon the worst.

Canon keeps their naming system simple. xx0d for their budget models, x0d for their semi-pro model and 1d Markxxx. It's easy to place a Canon simply by looking at its name. And, by increasing the model name of their budget model in increments of 50 every time a new model comes out, Canon can release 10 more budget and 5 semi-pro(ok, not so great) models before they have to revise their naming system. The 1d line of cameras can go on forever!

Whilst Nikon on the other hand....don't seem to have theirs thought out. Look at the the D60 and D80 for example. They both are in the tens(x0) and an increase in 10 doesn't necessarily mean an update. Nikon went D50->D40(down) then D60(up 2), what next the D30? To go down would imply a reduction in features and to go up would be D70 and that already exists. Then what is to happen to the D80? Once the D90 reaches the end of its product cycle what will its successor be called? Then there's their pro cameras. The D2h/s/x is kinda confusing without further reading-up.

I think I spend too much time thinking about these things. :? :lol: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:32 pm 

Yeah, but at least Nikon has the D always in front :D
While Canon has the Rebel XTi/XTs and whatnot :wink:
Bah, Graham: Go out and take some pictures :idea:
-------
Haha, you didn't even vote yourself :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:35 pm 
:lol: I completely forgot! Yea, I guess Canon's Xti, Rebel and Kiss names are bit confusing as well.

Come to think of it, Leica have a good system. Hard not to when you only have one DSLR.

Post subject: Re: Best naming system?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:44 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
I think I spend too much time thinking about these things. :? :lol: 8)

Grahamp, there are more stlylish ways to determine whether or not Nikon is better than Canon :wink: Of course Nikon is less confusing but maybe Canon attempts to scare undetermined photographers from the higher end cameras. For example, the more experienced you are, the more choice you have regarding cameras because you're not going: "XTI D, 2h rebel what the, these camera is too professional for me!"

Quentin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:55 pm 
Hmm? I think you've misunderstood me, I was arguing a case for Canon and against Nikon actually. I think the Nikon system is more confusing.

Or maybe I am confusing. :?

And yes Thomas, I do need to go out and take pictures but I'm front of the computer writing an essay for my English class and I got bored haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:47 pm 

The American names for the canons is a little confusing but in general and I MOST not ALL americans have an IQ less than like 90, so... they need to use more appealing names with numbers no less than or greater than zero.

Jake

PS. I like canons system better (where they're actually 400d, 350d, etc,)

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:17 pm 
LoL..this is by far the least expected and exotic topic about cameras!

All the names are horrible, because they are clearly driven by the engineering department. Sure, we can get used to it - but there is almost a forced learning curve - before buying you almost have to understand their naming system, in order to avoid mistakes.

Any naming system that you have to study is not intuitive.

Alpha: suggests either the first or the dominant - but they also have numbers.

D: OK we get it.."digital"..but these cameras will never be mentioned without the "DSRL" designation and all the text about the features will immediately make it clear that it's digital. Again the numbers - they are not chronological. Nor are they consistent with regards to higher# = more features. So you have to learn and understand. Then they have "x" and the "s" sub-category.

Canon: Just like the car-companies they use different model names and systems in different parts of the worlds. At least they try. But what's with the "EOS"..while it may or may not be meaningless, it serves a similarly superfluous as the "D" designation. Aren't all their DSLRs "EOS"?

Olympus: E###..here the engineers have had free reign again. Justlike Canon they start 3-digit number that increase with price/feature set. But when a certain threshold is crossed, the numbers drop again..E3 is "bigger & better" than both E410 and E510..just as D3 is "bigger&better" than D300 and EOS Mark 1 is "bigger&better" than EOS450. The 40D is also an "EOS"?

Sigma...DP1? I'm not even going there.

If there are any saving graces it's that the compacts and super zoom naming conventions are even worse, more meaningless and engineers have been given complete freedom to use as many consonants in a row as they want..lol.

Don't get me wrong - I love engineers. They can do stuff nobody else can. Big important life-changing stuff. But their methodology require them to use a very specific - almost mathematical - notation for their version-control. This doesn't translate very elegantly into consumer information. It's the executives who put them in charge of model-naming that is to blame here...lol...and it's universally acknowledged that it's OK to blame the executives, right?

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:19 pm 
A comparison:

D3 - EOS 1D MarkIII
D2Xs - EOS 1D Mark II N

Hug differences in body systems, BUT in lenses

AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 DX IF ED VR
to
EF 24-105mm f/4 IS USM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:44 pm 

I think all camera manufacturers have ridiculous naming schems. In fact, almost every computer product has these days. Cars for instance. Washing machines too. I think Canon's is the worst of all though. To have different names for different markets might make sense, but to rename a product from a number to a word is plain ridiculous. I'd boycott Canon for that reason alone. Perhaps that says more about me than Canon :roll:

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:18 am 
oh my, grahamnp, we may be in a world of headache soon for nikon cameras, after searching more on this i found out the pre-D series was N series. ARE WE JUST REPLACING LETTERS AND CONTINUING THIS CRAZYNESS?!

good game canon naming department, i think someone that doesnt research what they want would want something with "Rebel" in it more than x/##.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:33 pm 
I an SO GLAD Canon did not 'name' my 30D
Can you even imagine...The New Canon Rogue XZi or something.
Why in the USA we have to have nameplates is bizarre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:15 pm 
I think that Canon has nameplates in USA because the consumer can get a bit confused.. I mean, a 40D is better than a 400D or a 450D? how about a 5D or a 1D... so, they gived nameplates for their budget DSLRs (any one whos in need for a better DSLR than a budget one, is probably knowing a lot more than when he bought the first DSLR)... and I kind of understand Canon (don't wanna be rude) but c'mmon... americans aren't very bright, if you know what I mean. I don't want to offend anyone, but the vast majority don't even know Europe is another continent, they think it's a country...

so Canon 1D > 5D > x0D > xx0D :) simple as that :)
All Canon SLRs are called EOS (not only the digital ones, if I'm correct)

Nikon's naming system is .. bizzare... while the budget DSLR are named Dx0... the entry-level Dx00 ("more is better")... what went wrong with the "flahships"? "down to" Dx? :)) it's bizzare I think..

so Nikon Dx > Dx00 > Dx0 (really confusing for one that wants to buy the first DSLR)

Sony's naming system is pretty simple in my opinion. (alpha xx0, "bigger is better")

As for the Lens naming system, I understant the Canon naming system the best. EF or EF-S (for FF compatibility) + focal range + max aperture + IS (optional, image stabilizer) + USM (ring type focusing motor). And, of course :)) the L label, and ocasionally a MarkII (meaning a second version of the same lens)..

Cheers,
HNV

Post subject: Analogy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:38 pm 
Not to change the subject - just an analogy. When HP brought out their first touchscreen computer, the called it the "HP-150". Then a year later, they brought out the new model (without the touchscreen included), and guess what they named it? The "HP Touchscreen" computer. So don't expect Canon or Nikon to have any more sense than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

Speaking of HP, did you know their first product was the HP200A audio oscillator, used to test sound equipment; Dave Packard later admitted the model number was chosen to make it sound like they’d been around a while.

(a fascinating quote from Digital Rtero by Gordon Laing!)

As for camera naming, I'd have to say 'you're fired!' to both Canon and Nikon.

To Canon first-off for the Rebel naming - I mean, Rebel, Rebel XT, Rebel XTi, Rebel XSi? They make it up as they go along! I'm also not sure about their other DSLR names either, as the 450D and 40D lines get better with bigger numbers, but the range as a whole gets better with smaller numbers! Three digits, then two, then one. And while, we're at it, why have a 1D and a 1Ds? And will these always have these names, but with ever-greater 'marks'? Will we have a 1Ds Mark 10 in the future? And as for the different names for the same compacts in different regions? Crazy!

And to Nikon for possibly the longest, most convoluted lens names on the market.

Right, I feel a bit better now!

Gordon

Post subject: 'X'
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:15 pm 
I'm guessing that Canon marketing looked at all those car commercials for 'XL' or 'LX' or some such nonsense and borrowed from that. I used to have this book about subliminal advertising, in which they claimed that the public subconciously associates the 'X' in those mnemonics with sex. They have some serious data to back that up. Who knew?