Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Help! lint on sensor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:38 am 
Hi all! Well I have a problem with my Canon 40D. I was messiing around with my camera and I saw a small lint through my view finder> I removed the lense and there it is, a small lint in the sensor. I tried to blow it out and it didn't work. So, I was stupid enough to use a cotton swab to lightly clear the lint. Unfortunately, it made it worst. Now, there are several lints on the sensor. Can anyone help me with any idea on how to safely remove all the crap off of it. I don't have commercial sensor cleaner so any easy fix(but safe) would help...Thanks :?: :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:57 am 
holy hectic cotton swab, have you tried blowing air in there? If that doesn't work your going to go and buy a cleaning kit.

But if you saw it in the view finder it wasn't on the sensor then...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:00 pm 

Bad luck! Have you seen Gordon's DSLR dust cleaning technique workshop over at our sister site DSLR Tips?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:44 pm 
I will check the site. I don't think I scratched anything since I only swabbed it very lightly. I also tried to blow air and to no avail. By the way, just to make sure I am calling the right nomenclature. The sensor on canon 40D is the one on the top part when looking inside. (bottom is mirror and top is the lens with the 9 point focus)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:28 pm 

Hope this helps. It's over-simplified (no pentaprism/pentamirror or indication of the AA filter in front of the CCD) but it shows the basics. 8)
EDIT: I'm not sure exactly how applicable this is to the 40D either.

Bob.

P.S. I've moved the thread into the Off-topic forum as the DSLR Tips forum is intended to be used for feedback on the DSLR Tips site. From Gordon's introductory "sticky" thread:
    Hi everyone, welcome to the forum for DSLR Tips!

Please let us know what you think of the site, any questions you might have about the tips, and if there's any workshops you'd like to see in the future!

Gordon

Last edited by Bob Andersson on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:19 pm 
Well are u sure that it isnt some dust in the viewfinder itself? because i have that gotta take it out, but it doesnt really bother me... i see a black spot but it doesnt appear on my images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:35 pm 
after looking at Bob's diagram. I finally figured out the actual name of what I cleaned. (by the picture) it is the Transparent Matte LCD. I gues the CCD is the sensor?(on the picture)
Thanks.
Excuse my ignorance...Thank you all for helping me or clearing things up for me. After searching through theh internet and the manual, the focusing screen (Transparent Matte) can be changed.

Last edited by J.Z. Alba on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:43 pm 
Do not attempt to clean the focusing screen(transparent matte LCD) they are generally very easily scratched. Used a blower unless you are absolutely sure that the cleaning equipment you are using is designed for the task.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:46 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
Do not attempt to clean the focusing screen(transparent matte LCD) they are generally very easily scratched. Used a blower unless you are absolutely sure that the cleaning equipment you are using is designed for the task.

Yes. I will never touch that again. But I guess I can change the focusing screen as per the manual...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:49 pm 

Well, that's excellent news. Any hairs and marks on the focusing screen (it's not an LCD on the 40D) won't show in your pictures. Even so. it is still a good idea to get rid of them, though, as hairs and dust may dislodge and find their way onto the sensor in time. If a blower doesn't work (don't blow with your mouth or an aerosol can as other "stuff" comes out!) then gently using a sensor cleaning swab might be the next best option. If you must use a cloth then a lint free (lens) cloth is, as you have found out, the way to go.

The focus screen on the 40D is interchangeable so if you are ever unfortunate enough to damage it new ones can easily be ordered and, with care, installed by your good self. 8)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:53 pm 
Doesn't it alarm you to find that the intricate inner workings of such precise equipment is so easily accessed and as a result damaged? I know I am! :? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:56 pm 
Thank you Bob and the rest of all who replied to my cry for help :) I am very happy that I did not messed up the sensor. whew...Thanks again guys...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:58 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
Doesn't it alarm you to find that the intricate inner workings of such precise equipment is so easily accessed and as a result damaged? I know I am! :? :lol:

Yeah. and I know that I will never mess anything up inside the camera. If need be, I will just bring it to the service center...Thanks all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:44 am 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Well, that's excellent news. Any hairs and marks on the focusing screen (it's not an LCD on the 40D) won't show in your pictures. Even so. it is still a good idea to get rid of them, though, as hairs and dust may dislodge and find their way onto the sensor in time. If a blower doesn't work (don't blow with your mouth or an aerosol can as other "stuff" comes out!) then gently using a sensor cleaning swab might be the next best option. If you must use a cloth then a lint free (lens) cloth is, as you have found out, the way to go.

The focus screen on the 40D is interchangeable so if you are ever unfortunate enough to damage it new ones can easily be ordered and, with care, installed by your good self. 8)

Bob.

Bob, please nexcuse my ignorance as I am trying to learn the canon 40D. Are the 9 point AF(red lights when focusing) embeded on the focusing screen? If I buy the upgraded screen, does it come with the 9 Point AF?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:12 am 

The question has never occurred to me but I feel sure that Canon wouldn't sell alternative focus screens if fitting them meant losing AF indicators.

Bob.