Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Auto ISO
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:26 pm 
How many people here use auto ISO ive been thinking about using it.. my D80 performs great at high ISO's so thats not a worry.. i think i'll give it a shot.. can you override the auto iso by just hitting the iso button and scrolling??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:39 pm 
Not on the D80 no.

I use auto iso on my compact, but there is no way in hell i use it on my D80

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:13 pm 
Hmm i actually started trying it and i do like it.. its nice you dont have to worry about underexposing or overexposing... Just the SP and the exposure compensation.. i might keep it auto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:37 pm 
I dont knw, if i findmyself in the condtions where i got noe idea what i m doing i will put it on auto, i constaly think that the lower the ISO the better the image will end up (with less noise), but i dont knw if that is the way to think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:49 pm 
Yeah i think like that too.. BUTTT.. the camera is very smart and tries to use the lowest ISO possible (like you said) so if your shooting in bright light it goes right down to 100 if its dark it goes up to 1600 or above.. and if you adjust your shutter speed in low light the iso will also go down accordingly.. i actually like it a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:54 pm 
I have Canon 40d, most of the time auto iso choose iso400 even though I'm shooting in a bright daylight.

anyone know why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:59 pm 
alex168 wrote:
I dont knw, if i findmyself in the condtions where i got noe idea what i m doing i will put it on auto, i constaly think that the lower the ISO the better the image will end up (with less noise), but i dont knw if that is the way to think?

As a rule of thumb, yes. The lower the ISO, the less likely noise will be an issue. However there are several other issues at hand that will affect noise - exposure time, which in turn is linked to how well your subject is lit. Underexposed images are more likely to be noise prone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:44 pm 
Allright good to knw that i m doing the right thing! and good to know what brings noise to an image :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:02 pm 

Auto ISO can be a good "Get out of jail" card but equally it can be a pain in the nether regions if you're regularly changing lenses or even focal lengths on a long zoom. For instance the minimum shutter speed using my Sigma 10-20mm might be 1/20 sec but if I switch to a long zoom I better remember to change the minimum shutter speed or everything's going to be blurry. To be honest I just leave it switched off and learn when certain ISO's are required according to shooting conditions.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:55 am 

something I have learned the hard way, too, z. I have been shooting quite a few faster paced horse events, and was quite disapointed last month with a capture..some were fine photos, but none were extrodinary...and alot were blured...you live, you learn...kick up the iso..and here is what a cheater I am...rather then totally miss things when they are going too fast, and covering ground, I do what Roy said, and what b. said..set it on av, or tv, and adjust my ISO, and the last two times I had to be thinking fast, and shooting faster, I got more good then bad, and some were really neat..nice to know that these cameras have "dummy" settings, so that you can learn...get one of the elements down, solid, and then get the next...whooohooo....easier said then done...
there is a learning curve, where you think you will never get it right, and then, all of a sudden, you HAVE it..

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:05 am 
ive done this about three or four times. I'll be shooting in manual, and to get a faster shutter speed I bump up the Iso, to say 800. I forget that I've set it to 800, and the next time i go out, I get shots while are still useable, could have easily used a lower iso. I hate it when I do that, but luckily they have not been any crucial shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:01 am 
I don't use auto ISO. I tried it for a while but I find that it's not possible to set a minimum shutter speed for all occasions. So rather than dive into the menus and change that value every 10mins or so, I just switch it off completely.

Works for me. 8)