Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Timed daily pic
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:32 pm 

Hello. I am new to this so please be gentle. I am planning to have my house built and would like to take a picture once a day of the houses progression. I would like it in HD, and it must handle the elements if a Michigan winter. Is there a camera or setup out there that can handle this? I have no power at the property, so it will also have to be self contained. I could change the batteries, or have it solar powered. I have about a month to figure this out. I think it would be pretty cool. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Timed daily pic
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:59 pm 

Hi.

Something like a GoPro, http://www.walmart.com/cp/GoPro-Camera/1095238 might be what you're looking for? (they can be controlled via phone apps too)
I think there's a new `Hero 4`due out soon, so the present models should reduce in price.

If it's purely a stills camera you want, you will presumably need it to be weather/waterproof so maybe look at something like the Nikon COOLPIX AW100.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:25 am 
Site Admin

I should add that to generate an HD video, you only need an image with 1920x1080 pixels, which is actually only 2 Megapixels, albeit in a wide shape. So pretty much any camera with over, say, 3 Megapixels, will be able to capture the correct image size for you, so long as you don't want to crop or zoom-into the picture during the sequence.

I'd say finding somewhere very sturdy and fixed for the duration is critical, like atop a pole or the side of another building which won't move at all during the time. And if you need to change batteries, the camera must not move for the best results.

I'd also recommend taking several shots per day, as a new build changes a lot in one day, plus it'll give you more frames to work with for a smoother result. Remember most video has, say, 30 frames per second. So for one second, you'll need 30 pictures.

You can also calculate how many you'd need based on how long you want the video to last. A 3 minute video would need 3x60x30 pictures - that's 5400 photos. If that's over 1 year, then that's 14 photos a day.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:26 am 
Site Admin

PS - if the camera can be charged or powered by USB, as many can these days, then you could keep it topped up with an external USB battery - very easy to change without moving the camera.