Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: People taking pictures.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:12 am 

I've had an incident lately of someone lifting one of my pictures (wasn't watermarked) without asking off a well known social media site. Now I know this site can use anyones photos - I don't have a problem with that as it is in T&Cs. However I did have an issue with this person - who is not the social media, just taking a picture. I didn't say anything and just shrugged it off as it was a pretty poor quality picture anyway.

Until I was asked if they could have the original as they'd tried to have the one they took, edited to look like something else. So not only had they taken the photo, they had then tried to have it edited - it doesn't sit right with me. I would've liked to have been asked if they could use the photo first in both cases.

But I had deleted the photo any how so no chance I could give them the original. Anyway - thats the back story. I then put my dilemma on a page (not photography) on this social media site.

I was told that because I am an amateur I shouldn't be bothered about it, I should be happy people are taking my photos, not accrediting me for them and sharing them willy nilly. :?

This was a couple of months ago. I have since put up some photos I took yesterday with a watermark and was told that it took away from the picture (cos I hadn't figured out how to fade it then - have now) but the person commenting could understand why I had done it. I explained it did need fading a bit but it stops people just taking my work.

Now this person then asked me if I see my photos as my work.. well of course I do. I may not be making a profit from them but I'm still taking time out of my day to go out, take photos, come home, edit them and then share them.

So I do see it as my work. Same with any essays I did in English Literature class - they were still my work even though they were just for exams and for marking.

Or am I seeing things wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:07 am 

You being an amateur or professional is not relevant, IMHO. If you have taken the time out to produce something and you feel the investment in producing it should be acknowledged in some way be it financial or just a mention then that is your right.

There are so many examples of people expecting to get things for free, especially items in the digital domain, music, film, software and the people producing these items having to find ways to make a living from producing them.

If you place a photo in the public domain on a site where the T's and C's state what the rules are then you should be bound by those rules however, if someone requests a higher quality copy of 1 of your images then you have the right to charge them how you see fit.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:14 pm 

+ 1 to the above^

It's also a matter of good manners & etiquette not to steal/use your images.
You say it's in the T&C's re `The Site` being able to use them, but if it's an individual user, I'd maybe contact the site admin & ask them to take up your issue.

Just keep `watermarking` & post low resolution images.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:09 pm 

Thanks guys - thought I'd see how people in the field see it.

I'm not so bothered about the picture that was taken - it was very very poor quality but I had deleted the original when asked if they could have it.

As for the social media site - it's the site that says it in T&C's but thats just their use of the photo. So if they wanted to use it in an ad of their own they could. Which is fine by me - I signed up for that when I joined. But the individual members - there is a certain level of etiquette expected surely - well you've just answered that for me. :)

Another thing I have been told too. I asked a "friend" who is getting into photography herself if she knew of any free sites where I could watermark until I can buy a programme. I was told that just because I've bought a DSLR, doesn't mean I have to slap watermarks on the photos, that she only does because she wants to get into photography professionally.. :shock:

Okaaaay then.

But then I've been into dogs and dog sports for nearly 4 years and encountered similar attitudes etc so I'm used to it.

Thank you for your replies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:11 am 

There are many photo hosting sites that let you do various things. I use smugmug as you can upload the highest resolution image you have and still only allow it to be viewed at low res. You also have the option of letting the website embed watermarks or not as well as many other features. The only downside is they do charge, starting at around 5 US dollars per month, but there is no limit to the amount of space you use (just an individual file size limit).

http://keystrokesukimages.com