Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:16 pm 

I'm observing that for third-party lens manufacturers (like Sigma, Tamron) the Canon-mount version hits the street faster than the Nikon variant.
That can mean either of two things:
1. the demand for Canon-mount third-party lenses is higher (probably because Canon lenses leave owners wanting :wink:
2. the low resolution of Canon bodies (currently max. 22.3 MP) makes for more positive reviews than on a 36MP Nikon D800. Because the lower the resolution of a test-body is the better the lens appears...
Now I put this into "Off-topic"-section for good reason: perhaps my thoughts are totally off-topic.
But what is your take on this issue?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:40 pm 

1b: The Canon pricing leaves Canon owners wanting... :D I haven't done a like for like pricing comparison between Canon and Nikon, but certainly most Canon lenses released in the last few years have left wallets hurting.

I don't buy #2, as it would only be a short term effect.

I can't say I've noticed if Canon versions come out before others. If that is happening, I have to wonder what the current worldwide DSLR share figures are? Is there a bigger user base therefore potential market?

I have noticed the converse in terms of features. For some "low tech" lenses, the Nikon version is often higher featured since they can incorporate the mechanical coupling, whereas with Canon they can't/don't want to implement the electronic interface.

Compacts: Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:16 pm 

Purely annecdotal, but my experience with both the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 and Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 is that the Nikon version was actually available for purchase before the Canon version. (This was true at Amazon, B&H and Adorama.)

Maybe APS-C is different? - Mark