Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:21 pm 

Hi all,

After having taken a break from Cameralabs.com for a while, I'm back. But please try not to let your excitement get out of hands over this, since I actually have a question :). I have been trying so many different systems and software types to keep track of my photos, but I have yet to find a solution I really feel works well... So I'm seeking some inspiration and would therefore like to hear how you guys are doing it. Mainly I'm thinking stuff like:

- Software
    - Hardware
    - Backup
    - Folder structure

...but everything you feel is worth sharing is very much appreciated. I'm very much looking forward to hearing from you, and hopefully finding a system that works for me (it has taken long enough).

Merry summer and thank you in advance!

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:22 am 

Hi Noceo, many software packages have features for tracking photos, if people use them is another thing.

Personally I don't use software to track my photo collection. My tracking is simple for me, I create a folder at the start of each year e.g. 2013 and sub folders as needed. I use folder names that are meaningful to me like a place or an occasion. In 5-10 years time I don't have to look in to many folders to track any event I want to see. For me its not important to rename every photo, that place/event is tracked by the folder name.

I usually backup once a month and depending what I've shot it could be extended to two months. It depends how valuable you think the photos are to you and the likelihood of a computer crash will be the decider of backup frequency. It was not to long ago when everything was in a card filing system, for me, why waste time when we have the tools of computers. :D

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:14 am 

yep I agree

I have a folder set up for each year. Within that the photos are organised by date as this works well with uploading photos from camera to PC. So sorting on the basis of date and time taken removes duplication.

If there is a particular subject matter or I choose then to process a series of photos further then a sub directory within the date folder with the name of the event in the title enables me to quickly locate what I am after.

With my music collection I started having one huge A-Z of artists but found this single folder was huge and not easy for transferring around. As such I broke the folder in to sub groups for A-E, F-J, K-O etc.. this keeps the respective folder manageable and also over my NAS I can browse quickly to the artist I want.

:D

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:11 am 

Software: Lightroom
Hardware: PC and NAS
Backup: NAS/RAID 5
Folder structure (on NAS): 1 per client ==> 1 per venue.date

So basically, I dump the pics from the camera(s) to my PC, process them, deliver the results to the client, and copy the pics to the NAS. And the NAS is organized as follows:

Client1
==> venue1.year.month.day
==> venue1.year1.month1.day1
==> venue2.year.month.day

Client2
==> venue1.year.month.day
(etc.)

HTH - Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:26 am 

Welcome back Jake! I wish I could describe a very elaborate system I use for organizing my pictures but I'm afraid it's as simple as Lightroom 4, an external hard-drive for back-up, and very simple folder structures (year >> week number >> event/location name >> final set of folders for processed Jpegs, framed Jpegs, processed RAWs and unprocessed RAWs).

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:04 pm 

My organizing method couldn't be simpler: Camera >> Year >> Month >> Day. I also have an additional directory where the images that are to be edited are converted to DNGs (CS3 doesn't support my camera :( ) and I have another folder where I order my edited photos with the same original hierarchy except I drop the "Camera" part.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:24 am 

In my case I have quite a lot of folders on a 3TB hard drive. Backup is just copied to an external HDD sometimes.
I'm using folders named like that:

"13 - 08 - 27 (Cameralabs meeting)" ("\RAW" for raw data if shot that way.)
year-month-day (note in brackets what's inside)

Since 2004.

I prefer that pure folder and data structure over any organizing programs. I could just copy that stuff anywhere I want it and it just works and I know how it works. As far as I remember I'm using that structure since 2006; before that it was a bit confusing.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466