Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Web site critique
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:10 am 

Hi guys, I'm looking for some critique on my photography website - www.tinyhalo.com.

Would love to hear your comments.

Thanks
Scott

Post subject: Re: Web site critique
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:09 pm 

Is there a reason for first showing a big logo and asking visitors to click to enter? If I were visiting your site I would want to get straight to the actual content. A quick Google search shows that many people feel that way.

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:13 pm 

I have to agree to the above. I'm using a 1920x1080 monitor and even in fullscreen, your page doesn't fit entirely. Most websites try to fit 1280x1024 monitors, which are a dime a dozen, especially in the workplace, where I hear quite a few people surf the net. :wink:

EDIT: I could barely enter the portal on a 1280x1024. I clicked on the yellow "c" at the far right edge. I couldn't see any way to slide the screen over to be able to read the full link. At lower resolutions like 1024x768, it's likely no one will could enter it.

EDIT: It loads fine using IEv8 on 32-bit XP.

OK, I entered the site. While a horizontal format is kinda unique, it also makes it impossible for me to scroll down with my mouse wheel. I've had to use the slider on the bottom. Some people won't mind, others might get annoyed. I think if you included left and right arrow buttons on the sides for ppl to click on, it would make navigation easier.

It looks fairly nice, I'm just commenting on ergonomics.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:54 pm 

Thanks for the comments.

The big logo on the entry page in not intentional - it's supposed to resize automatically but I discovered with the latest release of the template that it's not working for certain browsers. I first noticed it after the latest Firefox update but since others have complained too so I'm going to have to fix it. 4ormat first claimed it was a bug in the new browser and have generally been unresponsive and unhelpful with the issue.

The reason I put this page in was because I was getting a high bounce rate on the site - all the images were on the home page and when I had that as the landing page Google thinks the site is bad because there were no clicks on any content. The bounce rate has reduced dramatically since I put the splash page on and improved my search results no end.

As far as horizontal scrolling its pretty slick on anything Apple - which is all I use but I see the problem for people working with PC's. I'm using a company called 4ormat to host it that provides templates and I don't like the other layouts so am just waiting for something better to come along.

Scott