Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 5D Mark III built-in HDR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:07 pm 

As requested by robbon44, here's my thread about the built-in HDR mode in the Canon 5D Mark III. I was in Berlin during the weekend and took quite a few shots with the HDR mode. I usually use the art standard or art vivid settings. Art standard produces a somewhat muted image with low saturation and color. With art vivid it is often other way around in terms of saturation, but not always.

The biggest problem I have is that the shots often come out a little underexposed even if I dial in exposure compensation to, well, compensate. It doesn't work particularly well for snowy scenes for example. With jpegs there is limited scope for brightness adjustment. Have found I can boost it +10 to +15 before it starts to fall apart. That is enough for many cases, but not all.

My taste is for the more subtle HDR images, so I often use +-1 and sometimes +-2 exposure bracketing.

So, let's go on an HDR tour in Berlin. For these shots the WB was set to AWB. On obvious problem with HDR in general is moving subjects as you can see in shots 2 and 4.

Siegessäule +-1 exposure bracketing, art standard, brightness +5

Tiergarten. +-3 exposure compensation (auto), art standard, no PP

Reichstagsgebäude. +-1 exposure compensation, art vivid, brightness +10

Sony Center. +-1 exposure compensation, art vivid, no PP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:44 am 

That's interesting.

I was expecting the shadow areas to be more defined with the over exposure. Is the camera taking 3 bracketed shots and then merging on board or is it using some black magic to mimick the bracketing? With only one shot?

I thought the skies would appear more defined with more definition in the clouds, not quite as I would have guessed either.

Do you think the shots are more akin to what your eye sees ? I mean being able to define light and shade at the same time?

I'm going to have to have a look at these on a bigger screen than just on my ipad.

Thanks for posting this, really interesting.

Rob

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:16 am 

It takes three shots and merges them. When single shot silent mode is selected it brackets with silent continuous and with normal single shot mode it brackets with low speed continuous. Around 3 fps in both cases. Processing takes 3-4 seconds and you cannot take any more shots while it's processing. Moving subjects can look pretty weird - see the yellow sighseeing bus in shot 1

I would say the shots are better at replicating the real dynamic range that my eyes see. Often I'm just looking to make the shot a little less harsh, not necessarily capture all the details in shadows and highlights. I guess you often need more than +-1 to get there. At +-3 the shots are usually too HDR-ish for my taste

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:32 am 

Ok. Would be interested too see the extremes to see how it does push he HDR boundary. I agree I like subtle use of HDR but I'm not in to the almost fake painting styles. Although dearth kindy has a unique slant which I do like!

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:33 pm 

Here are some untouched -+3 shots shots with the art vivid preset. For all shots the WB was set to Shade and exp. comp. to 0
The location is my local bird pond which has been emptied for cleaning

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:04 am 

is the top photo the merged final shot and the shot beneath it the -+0 ?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:50 am 

Yes, forgot to write that. Upper shots are merged from +-3, lower shots are +-0

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:34 am 

Good stuff. I actually think the results are really quite good.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:18 pm 

The results seem to be on a par with the D600 I reviewed for a local magazine in Oct 2012.

i.e. slightly gimmicky as a feature and nowhere near as useful as software based HDR/Exposure fusion, with no fine control capability from the user.

Very much like the time lapse feature on the D600, it's a nice to have, but not necessarily something you'd use.

It definitely helps pull back blown skies though if you don't want to go down the software and blending route...

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:36 pm 

yep phil i agree.

Its an intersting concept/facility to have. Certainly not everyday use / every shot use. However in the right situation the feature can be useful and doesnt blow the photo.

Thanks Janern for your time and photos. really useful.