Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:45 pm 

I am considering hiking the Appalachian Trail next year, which is ~2200 miles of outdoors all day every day. I've only a handful who have made this trip with full camera gear (tripod, SLR, multiple lenses etc). I plan to take my Sony A57 but weight is a concern, as well as how to carry it.

1) If you could only take 2 lenses and needed to limit weight, what are your choices for outdoor landscape shooting? I obviously want to be versatile for shooting stills and video on the trail, but weight is #1. I'm leaning towards the Sony DT 30mm macro f/2.8 (~44mm equiv) so I can get those cool flower shots with decent bokeh and fairly wide panoramas. And maybe supplement that with my cheap 75-300mm tele since it's light, even though it kinda sucks for quality.

2) I'm not sure what kind of hiker friendly carry gear is out there. I already have my 50L GoLite backpack which has plenty of space but I'm thinking I could strap the camera case to the front of my shoulder straps, or attach to my pack. I'm curious as to how you folks who are serious hikers carry your gear.

Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful!! Thanks all.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:56 am 

I have a Lowepro Streamline 100 and carry everything in my signature plus 2 spare batteries and a Samsung Galaxy. This is worn across my shoulder for easy access from the front. I can't fit any filters in there (in their cases), so they go in my backpack. With a body and 4 lenses, it's a snug fit, but I barely notice the weight and it doesn't interfere with my hands for grabbing onto rocks and the like while scrambling up slopes. I've also dropped this down the equivalent of a flight of stairs with all my gear in with no damage to anything aside from needing a dust-ff. I've trekked for a couple of days with this kit (not 2200 miles though!)

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm