Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC

Who Makes Money from Their Photos?
No money, haven't sold anything or billed a "client" 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
Have billed a couple of clients 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Have sold a couple of prints 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Not a full time Photographer but get some income from photos 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Not a full time Photographer but get regular income from photos 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
Full time getting paid Photographer 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 26
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:08 pm 

I've just passed my 1-year with my DSLR and have notice the changes I've made since I've started all though I still have a WAY to go :) . I think I may have about 6 that really stand out. I just found out about an Art Co-Op in one of the better malls here in El Paso and they are running a "all photo" show for the month of July without having to pay the full co-op fees so I picked 3 to enter, I would have done 5 but I don't have a way to get my large panoramas here in time. I know that I still have a lot to learn and I really didn't think much about trying to sell anything but with a baby on the way my wife says right now if I want to buy something new I have to sell something :lol:

That just got me to thinking that I see a lot of good photos out here so how many of you have made any money, or make money as a job?

The fun part of all of this is how much do I charge? Of course I'm taking in to account the materials and printing cost, plus the Co-Op gets 30%. I don't want to over-price but I do want to make something :?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:14 pm 

Great idea for a topic Mike! I selected the 'Not a full time photographer but get regular income from photos' option. I am still studying so can't class myself as a full time photographer but a lot of my spare time is spent running my photography business. Good luck with the photography pictures you are selling. Did you include any photos of the army. A unique subject that is quite hard to take yourself might be a good seller. In terms of prices you should take a look at the prices in store and from other people who are entering. Based on this you should decide where your photos fit in based on the quality of them.

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:42 pm 

I haven't sold any pictures yet, but does writing freelance for a photography magazine (the largest in the Benelux) count?

And even though I didn't get paid for it, one of my pictures will be used as the mourning card of my wifes grandmother when the time comes. I made a picture of her which she really liked, and even though this is a dubious honor, I am proud she wants this to be her last goodbye to the world.

Oudjaarsdag 2010 - 1 by mt.koopmans, on Flickr

I have plans to actually try and start selling pictures online in the future, though that's something I have been putting off for a long time now. Just don't know how and where to start :(.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtkoopmans/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:51 pm 

I haven't sold any prints but I have been offered money for them in the past. I turned it down and said they could use the print for themselves. As long as they didn't mass produce it and they told people it was by me.

But then again, I have never really tried to sell a print.

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:02 pm 

Quote:
Did you include any photos of the army. A unique subject that is quite hard to take yourself might be a good seller.

No, I wasn't sure how the Army rules would play out since it was done on Army time with some Army photo equipment. They have funny rules like that, will have to check.

Quote:
I haven't sold any pictures yet, but does writing freelance for a photography magazine (the largest in the Benelux) count?

That's cool, I have some photos published in the base newspaper, probably not as big a publication as that :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:27 pm 
MTK wrote:
I have plans to actually try and start selling pictures online in the future, though that's something I have been putting off for a long time now. Just don't know how and where to start :(.

Does anyone know where to start? I know there are quite a lot of websites that buy your stock photo's. Some have higher requirements than others. Does anyone have experience selling pictures through a website like that, and which ones are good for beginner photographers? I'm not aiming to make loads of money with it, but it would be awesome if it could contribute to upgrade my gear.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:04 pm 

The trouble with these large online stock photography websites is that there are 1000s of photos of the same subject. This means that it is hard to get someone to even notice your photo. It's definitely worth putting them up there though as someone might find it. Your best bet is to put them all on a website of your own. Then send the URL to friends, family and even to people in your local area and beyond :D By giving someone your website link they can go on there and will only find your images. They are much more likely to notice them this way. As for stock photography websites I have never used any before so can't comment on the best ones. Somebody will be able to. My photography company do plan on taking some generic shots of places and things and adding them to a section of our website. This way when clients come onto our site they might take a look and even purchase some. I'm more looking forward to the taking the photos than making the money in this case though. It will be the first time in a while I have taken photos for fun because of exams.

Hope this helps,

James

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:21 pm 

That's a good question Marco! I will be keeping a close eye on the answers that might come :P.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtkoopmans/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:37 pm 

Photography is a major part of what I do as a public servant (big-city police officer), but as my salary would not decrease if I quit the photography part, and either resumed the standard patrol role, or went into another specialized role, I do not consider myself to be making money from photography, except indirectly, as I am paid to attend court. I certainly cannot sell images I shoot while at work, nor share them on-line, though I have certainly recorded some quite interesting images.

It remains to be seen whether my experience with police photography will be used to try to earn money in the private sector, in the future.

I have yet to determine which poll choice best fits my situation.

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:45 pm 

Did not sold anything yet, but i dont have that experience, and for now i know i should not ask money for it yet.

It needs time.
I can shoot something for exchange (free tickets for example), but i am not a pro and thats what i tell everyone first.

Canon AT-1, 50mm FD F1.8
Canon A430,

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:43 pm 

I dropped off my set for the show. I settled on 3 framed 11x14 priced from favorite at $150 next $125 and last $100. Then did 4 8x10s of each and matted. Those will go for $30.00 each. If I sell all (fingers crossed) all have $360 in profit after covering costs.

Trying to drum up advertising to get people there. They say that business has dropped recently. They got it published in local paper and I'm using my public affairs contacts to get it in the post paper. So if any of you that know anyone but me that lives in El Paso TX or Alamagorda NM tell them to go to the Sunland Park Mall :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:51 pm 

How to start... well here is how it all kinda evolved for me...

I used to oversee the operations of 2 senior citizen complexes. When I got back from some of my trips the residents used to ask me how my trip was. When I told them a few times that my trips were all wildlife photography based they asked if I would show them at one of their weekly travel video shows. The tenent-services person thought it was a great idea so we did a few... next thing I knew I was travelling to 15+ senior complexes doing these slide shows for residents all over town.

Next the same person who arranged the presentations for me asked me if I would be interested in printing some of my work and displaying it in the lobbies of the complexes. I told her sure but she would have to print em.

This lead to several residents asking for prints which turned out to be my first sales...

In the mean time I had been asked to do some more presentations at the local high schools as well as a few out of town at more senior citizen complexes which I was now charging for.

At this point a few friends said I should start a website which I did.

Next came a few seminars at local camera classes and that spread into classes across the province and then western canada.

Next came an extremely long post here which someone suggested should be turned into a book and then Gordon and I started talking and sure enough that ended up happening.

The following is what I offer these days:

Prints:

All photos are available for purchase as high quality fine art prints. Photos are printed at a professional laboratory using the best products available. Prices vary depending on size and image selected due to the fact that each image is cropped for the best composition and not to standard sizes thus adding to the uniqueness of the print. Please contact me for pricing information or any questions you may have.

Licensing & Exhibits:

All images are available for licensing for use in a variety of media forms be it digital or on paper. I would be happy to work out an agreement with any gallery interested in hosting any of my work. Please feel free to contact me to discuss your needs.

Seminars:

I am available for seminars and slideshow presentations on the following topics:

Haida Gwaii: Featuring the flora and fauna of Haida Gwaii as well as the indigenous culture.

Newfoundland: Featuring the flora and fauna of Newfoundland as well as the local culture.

The Canadian Prairies: Featuring the flora and fauna of the Great Canadian Plains.

The Great Bear Rainforest: Featuring the flora and fauna of The Great Bear Rainforest focusing on the Black Bear, Grizzly Bear and Kermode Bear (Spirit Bear) and the plight to save this region from logging and other corporate interests.

Humpback Whales: Featuring Humpback Whales and their comeback to the oceans of the world as well as the obstacles still in their way.

Wildlife Photography: A seminar focused on the basics of wildlife photography while being respectful to both the animals as well as the environs in which they live.

Living With & Human Interactions With Wildlife: A seminar focused on our interactions with wildlife and how to do so in a safe and respectful way for both yourself as well as the animals you encounter and the environs in which they live.

Workshops:

Wildlife Photography Basics: We will spend 4 or 6 hours in the field photographing various forms of wildlife while discussing wildlife photography and gear as well as tactics for approaching wildlife. I prefer to keep this workshop limited to 1 or 2 people but I will accommodate larger groups. Extended workshops are also available.

Contract Work:

If you are in need of a Wildlife Photographer for a project or expedition in Canada or are looking for a specific image of a particular species please contact me.

I also have a page on my site which offers other writing I have done both on an inspirational level as well as teaching some wildlife photography basics which people seem to enjoy reading.

I will be adding a few more seminars later this year. It has also been suggested that I add a calender and postcard size images which could be sold at local venues like bookstores and so on. 2 books stores have already agreed to it... I just need to get off my butt.

Then you get those wacky offers that may not appeal to you. A while back I was asked by several churches if they could use postcard size prints and add bible scriptures to them and then sell/give them away as cards and calenders in the churches. I found that rather..... anyways I said no, I would have said no even if they offered to pay as I personally see no connection with nature and today's mainstream religions in any way but that is just me.

And no I am not a pro and never want to be. I do this as a hobby only and only take the seminars and assignments that I choose. I've never made a lot of money at it but it pays for my gear and about 6 weeks worth of photography trips a year as well as all of my daily outings with a little to spare for other toys.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:39 am 

Since the thread got bumped ... Long story made somewhat less long ... I'm a screenwriter looking to produce some of my work, so I got into the HDSLR movement to be able to communicate better with my DP (Director of Photography aka Cinematographer). Along the way, some people who saw my work liked it enough to pay me to shoot something for them. But I'm still a long way away from even recouping my investment in gear, nevermind time. But that's OK because I didn't get into this for the money, anyway.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:54 pm 

Two :x today... First :x, I didn't sell anything in the art show. I found out after entering that #1 the gallery has seen a major decline in sales over the past year and only 1 photo from about 40 pieces sold. #2 the people of El Paso like pictures of their city and culture not landscapes from other areas.

Second :x , i thought I might have had a sell from a website that prints and distributes the order and gives you a commission, but nope, it was one of those certified check scams. He sent me a message asking if the work was still available for purchase and I replied back yes, and told him how to place an order from the website. He replied back:
Quote:
I will like to purchase directly from you..what is your last asking price and did you accept payment by certified check that will fully clears your bank before pickup is made.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:22 pm 

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could suggest a website, forum, where you can upload photos and no one can dowlaod it without purchasing it.

Any adivse would help.

THX

http://www.flickr.com/photos/humaneugene