Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I've always wondered if it's possible to run a web-based business on the road during an extended family holiday. I'm not talking about going away and staying in the same place for a few weeks either - I'm talking about proper travelling, changing locations weekly or even daily, while also meeting family commitments and hopefully enjoying myself too!

Recipe for disaster? Maybe! But I'm finding out!

I've packed up all my possessions into storage in New Zealand and moved out of my rented home in Queenstown. The real catalyst was discovering rising rent in Queenstown coupled with the weakening currencies I earn meant it would actually cost me the same to go on holiday as it would to stay at home! It's a no-brainer right? Well only if I can continue to earn my normal wage while I'm away.

So that's the test. I'm on the road, first San Francisco, then Morocco, followed by Barcelona and onto the UK, attempting to extend a family trip by maintaining the articles at Cameralabs. Hopefully you won't notice any difference as visitors to the site - indeed if it stops working well, believe me, I'll cut the trip short and get back home.

I'm also travelling light with a compact system camera and ultra-portable laptop.

I thought it would make an interesting story, so along with the regular reviews, I'm updating a page about the trip with videos, photos and stories. You can find it on my Working Holiday page.

Hope you enjoy my travel tips and discussions about ultra portable technology!

Gordon

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:46 am 

Have a great time and we promise we won't break anything...it might be a little covered in jam..but it should still be here when you get back.

Barcelona is one of my most favorite european cities, explore the ramblas and the old town and when in the uk try and explore Scotland, the lake district, the Cornish coast ...the list goes on, I'm sure you have a tick list..so I'm looking forward to what you post.

:D

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:29 am 

Now that's a concept I could get used to... taking extended vacations because of rent rises :lol: Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:30 am 

Wonderful Gordon, hope you have a wonderful trip. (wish I could work while on the hoof :( )

Audio has a slight lag on your blog btw (didn't affect the enjoyment of viewing it, just thought i'd mention it in case there was a sync setting you could change)
Also, that guy coming up the steps behind you could easily have snatched all your gear! Take care man :wink:

Oh & the longer your trip goes on without an end date in mind, the less you'll want it to end at all. :lol:

Enjoy. 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:08 pm 

Gordon, have a safe and wonderful trip! I enjoyed the video clip, and learned a bit about those lenses. It seems the Micro 4/3 system is really becoming more mature and versatile!

Enjoy your "coffee" via Paypal! (Hint to all reading this: Travelers drink much coffee!)

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

robbon44 you're listing many of my own favourite places! I'll try and revisit them all!

oldCarlos yes I noticed a lag too - I couldn't get the audio tracks to perfectly sync. I think I need more practice with my Zoom H2n sampling settings... but I was impressed by the audio quality of the mic... it's also sounding good on paert 2 which I've just edited and will be uploading in the next few days...

RexGig many thanks for the generous donation! This really helps keep the site going! Look out in your inbox (of the account used to make the donation) for a complimentary copy of one of our ebooks. If you've already got it, you can forward the link to someone else as a gift! Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, i just posted part two of my video travel blog, this time filmed on the edge of the Sahara Desert in Morocco! In this video I’ll explain my choice of lenses for the trip along with giving you a taste of the wonderful photographic opportunities in this fantastic destination! As with the first part of my blog, I filmed this with an iPad 3 and captured audio with a Zoom H2n microphone, before syncing them in Premiere Pro; the quality is working out surprisingly well!

PS - don’t worry, more camera reviews coming very soon!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:43 pm 

Thank you, Gordon, for your second part of your photographic trip around the world! I really enjoy it and wish you all the best possible for you to visit wherever you may wish to go. About 15 minutes of video is a great length.
If I may, I would like to pay you a compliment: You are really eloquent and capable when talking for such a long stretch of time in your videos. That makes them quite "entertaining" and it is interesting to follow them.
Thank you for all your work with your videos!
May you make the right decisions that keep you safe and give you joy along your way.
Looking forward to seeing you on your new endeavors,
HTG

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:32 pm 

I enjoyed the videos Gordon. More please! And have a great trip!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:34 pm 

Hey Gordon,

may I suggest Denmark and Skagen in particular? It features great lighting and you should stop at the Ankers huus. Then move on to Gothenburg followed by a trip to Austria. Salzburg is nice and you could always hop down to Egypt.

Great series by the way and I love the format.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for your support everyone!

I just posted the fourth part of my video blog at the same link as before:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Working_holiday/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:37 am 
Great Morocco article, thanks Gordon. Very inspiring, particularly the family-friendly aspects of the trip. Just need to persuade the wife to try something different holiday-wise...oh, and that I need a proper camera too!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:18 am 

Any more blogs/updates, Gordon?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:49 am 
Site Admin

Sorry oldcarlos I've been flat out visiting folk while back in the UK. Flying off to Vegas in a month or so though, so plan on an update then!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:13 pm 

Lucky you. 8)
Good to know you're OK. Cheers Gordon.