Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:07 pm 

Alright, you've all heard the press announcements for the D3s and D4. Every time a new Dx camera comes out it's claimed to have "night vision".

I would like to have nightvision too, but sadly I only have a D2H, which led me to the following idea:

What if I added real nightvision to my camera? 8)

Long story short, a russian Gen1 light intensifier tube is underway, and I already have the optics here. For my first tests I'll be using a 50mm F/2 lens, if anyone wants to donate a 1.4 or 1.2 lens (preferrably M42) to the cause that'd be real nice!

UPDATE 1

Amp arrived, here it is mounted on my D2H with a russian pentacon 50mm F/1.8.

(click for larger)
(click for larger)

Looking through it with my eyes, the picture is pretty good, but when mounted on a DSLR the image becomes rather fuzzy. I think I need a lens to focus on the eyepiece so it only uses the center portion.
Tomorrow, I'll have access to a M42 glass adapter.

Oh, and for the pixelpeepers: the projected image should have a resolution of around 30 lp/h :lol:

UPDATE 2:

Ghostly! The image is a LOT better just looking through the optics, without using a camera

Last edited by Citruspers on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:56 pm 

If you're into that, have a nice read in this Nikon rumours topic.

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/12/02/the-real-king-of-darkness-nikon-d700-with-special-night-vision-system.aspx/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:08 pm 

No idea how they fit together, but I just stumbled across a dirt cheap 50mm f/1.0 which might be interesting if it is compatible.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:30 pm 

@Schultze: that's the article that kinda inspired me. The comments on Nikonrumors weren't very insightful though , to be honest (they even got quite a bit wrong).

@Popo: thanks for the heads-up! I'm afraid I can't mount it though due to the close image plane (the tube isn't fully exposed, it's covered by a mount).

I'd like to clarify that I won't need to remove the IR-cut filter from my camera to be able to pick up (near) IR light. The amplification tube transforms receives photons (visible light + (near) IR) and emits electrons, which in turn hit a phosphorous screen which will light up, painting an amplified image. The screen itself only emits visible light (mostly around the 560nm/green) spectrum, which passes through the rear lens, and to the camera sensor.

Why green, you may think? From what I've gathered, it's because the human eye can discern the most shades of green (and thus get maximum detail out of the scope, as it is essentially an analog signal).

Digital nightvision is often just black and white, as well as thermal imaging, probably because the screens have a lower color reproduction than the human eye.