Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Travel - But where to?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:26 pm 

My parrents have decided that they wanna do a family trip this summer, but they aren't sure excactly where to go, so they asked me for suggestions.
They'd like a trip that isnt to "standard-tourist-trip" if you know what i mean. We've talked about Borneo or some other place in souteast asia/australia area. Any of you guys got something that might be worth checking out?

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:33 am 
Site Admin

New Zealand of course!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:43 am 
What you talking about Gordon, Australia is the place to be, but it has been raining a lot lately.

I want to go to New Zealand where Gordon takes all photos from his house or work or where ever he does the reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:43 am 
Site Admin

Well depends what kind of landscape and holiday you're after!

As for our test shots, they're mostly taken around the Queenstown area...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:12 am 

Mostly i think we're after some beatyful nature and wildlife. But of course anything can be considered :)

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:25 pm 
How about Croatia? Especially the Plitvice Lakes. And Montenegro has great scenery, however it might be slightly harder to get to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:02 pm 
Croatia is a bit crowded - it's a major tourist destination.

New Zealand would probably offer many opportunities for nature shots. Or maybe a "Lord of the Rings settings" tour.

How about a safari?

Now, if you really want to go to a place where there are few fellow tourists, why not try North Korea? Do a web search and you'll find a few photos of interesting places and local people. There seems to be a lot of red tape involved in the process, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:27 pm 

They have already been a lot of places, including safari, greenland and the amazon in brasil. So finding stuff they havent seen before is quite a challenge.
North Korea is deffinitly an interesting suggestion, however (for political reasons) im not sure its a place we wanna go.
New Zealand could be interesting indeed, but is there somewhere that's not made for tourists? (Well i bet there is, but where?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:30 pm 
How about Turkey, did you think about Turkey? There are too many kinds of things to do. you should take a look :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:01 pm 
Florida keys, Travel accross canada, Himalaya mountains, Safari in south africa.

Lots of places you could go :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

One of my favourite trips is a loop from Las Vegas in the USA, taking in the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Zion and Bryce Canyons, then back to Vegas - awesome scenery and hiking opportunities...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:31 pm 
Not if you got sensitive skin :) What you could also visit is Israel.
or maybe norway, got alot of great nature scenery there.
I personally have always wanted to go to new zealand, greece and rome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:47 am 
street_parrot wrote:
How about Turkey, did you think about Turkey? There are too many kinds of things to do. you should take a look :wink:

Ahh..Istanbul..spent a good week there once. It has photo-ops to last a lifetime. Rich in culture and history..ambiance strong enough that you can almost smell the spice in the pictures..lol. The Bazaar, the Dolmabache palace, the mosques and the prayers from the towers..enough to make your skin tingle!

Macros of the tile work, the black-and-gold ceilings in the Al Suliman mosque, amazing people-shots in the village-sized but completely covered bazaar, the boat traffic on The Golden Horn, street vendors hawking Turkish Coffee in gold cups, 1000 different ways to prepare an eggplant...and crossing the Golden Horn officially leads you into Asia.

Everyone's taste is different, but I can't imagine anyone even with only the most minute photographic inclination who would not find Istanbul utterly fascinating!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:09 pm 
@LahLahSr
I am glad that you loved Turkey :D , Despite that i don't live in istanbul, i have been there several times. As you said; there are too many things to take photograph, and feels that everybody should taste :)[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:49 pm 
I've been to a few hundred major cities in the world over the years and Istanbul is by far the friendliest I've ever visited!

..and to me that says a lot about the Turkish people. In any country, people are generally friendlier in smaller cities and towns, compared to the major cities and capitols. I suspect that has to do with traffic, pace, noise and proximity of everyone else - it's probably a "natural" thing that big-city dwellers spend more time shutting out their surroundings.

Istanbul is a major metropolis - just a busy and crowded as any other you might come across. Nevertheless, the general demeanor of people I met there was extremely friendly, polite and receptive - big smiles and loud laughter. I never had the chance to travel the rest of the country, but if Istanbul is any indication, the rest of Turkey would be a fantastic place for an extended visit :-)