Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Regret with my 400D
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:34 am 
You know i love my 400D and how it takes pictures but i just dont feel the build quality is there.. i dont feel like im actually using a higher end camera. Things rattle and the dial is not very sturdy and the batter/ CF card slots always move when you put your hands over them and stuff.. i just dont feel like this is a DSLR. I know that gordon reviewed this with a 14/20 build quality and i do know what he means by that.. its a great camera but not what i like. So what im thinking is since ive only had this for two weeks i will sell it back to the shop (if they give me a good deal if not i will try to sell it to a friend or something) For hopefully like 500 dollars since i only had it for 2 weeks.. then when PMA settles the d80 will hopefully drop in price.. i also have to sell it before PMA so that i get a good deal.. But i feel the d80 with 18-55 will drop to about 700 USD because its like 850 USD now.. and if not that low i might get a used one that is fairly new. What do you guys think about this i was leaning towards a nikon d40x when i was in the market for the first and i loved it so much but i forced myself to buy the 400 D because it was so much better featured but the d80 of course beats out the 400D i just feel like i lean towards nikon and enjoy the camera better and they have better build quality. :( I wish i liked my canon but i dont

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:13 am 
yeah thats funny because i was actually going to get either the 400d or the d80 before i bought. But i read a few forums, and reviews, and then i did the most important part, i went and held the camera in my hands in the shop, took a few snaps, looked through the viewfinder etc. Thats how i chose. I immediatly felt the grip on the 400D felt cheap and nasty. Yeah you could say, its JUST a grip, but if the shoe doesnt fit eh? :? Oh well, we live and learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:40 am 

I know exactly how you feel...

I recently bought an Olympus E510 and love it to bits.... I was going to get a Canon 400D but quickly realised it fext cheap in my hands. It felt like plastic, it felt like a toy and most of all, it felt like there was nothing inside the camera.

It took awesome pictures and with the kit lens (after some getting used to) it was pretty proffesional results. But in the end, if you cant use your camera, why use it? Its like clothes, you can buy the best, most expensive Calven clein shirt or something, and if it still feels itchy and that $20 shirt from Mooks or something feels comfortable, then go for it.... you will want to put it on more often.

Leo

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:05 am 
Ha, I felt the same way about the E510 I finally sold. My Nikon D50 feels like a real camera by comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:19 pm 
well its official.. i just packaged up my 400d in its box after just 2 weeks... great picture quality but build quality is bad. Im going to purchase a D80 after PMA most likely or if i can find a good used one at the local camera shop. The D80 is great build quality and fantastic image quality 2 strikes that are most important against the 400d for just 200 dollars more (with the standard 18-55mm) So hopefully after PMA nikon puts the "d90" out instantly and the d80 drops in price enough for me to buy it and probably a good cleaner too. Im not worried about anti dust because my canon had dust all over that sensor and i dont know why because ive taken the lens off like 3 times lol.. so maybe that lens (which was terrible quality) just sucked in dust.
Wish me luck and no pics outa me for some time :(.. but i will return a nikon fanboy lol :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:42 pm 

Hope you got a good price for the 400D. We'll look forward to your return...

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:30 pm 
i really like my 400D altho the manual was slightly longer than the harry potter series so i still dont know what half the functions do
but back to build quality i dont find anything particulally rattlyit feels quite solid, the only rattle bit is on the flash but i only found that out shaking it just
but them again its the only dslr ive ever held so i cant really compare to anythng but its a good camera

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:20 am 

patty^_^ wrote:
i really like my 400D
...the only rattle bit is on the flash but i only found that out shaking it just
but them again its the only dslr ive ever held so i cant really compare to anythng but its a good camera

I enjoyed mine for the year I had it. Never shook it so it never rattled. :!: Mind you, when I upgraded to the 40D I found out what I had been missing, but then I was fortunate enough to be able to afford it.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:39 am 
Bob Andersson wrote:
patty^_^ wrote:
i really like my 400D
...the only rattle bit is on the flash but i only found that out shaking it just

I enjoyed mine for the year I had it. Never shook it so it never rattled. :!: Mind you, when I upgraded to the 40D I found out what I had been missing, but then I was fortunate enough to be able to afford it.

Bob.

Ditto :lol: