Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: ARG!!! Miss bear pic
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:25 pm 

BOO! Missed a picture of a Black Bear that was only 20-feet from me :( My unit was on a mountain road doing a hill run and i was taking pictures. After everyone went through the turn around point I changed my camera settings to get some mountains on the horizon, so my camera was in full manual. A saw some thing from the corner of my eye and this black bear crossed the road behind me with a care in the world. I turned and started shooting and just as he dipped into the wood line i realised the camera was still set for the horizon so the pics came out so dark u can hardly tell there is a bear :( i play with the pics tonight and see if i can get something. Oh, and i had just turned RAW off to get more burst speed of the runners CRAP!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:23 am 

bugger, have done something similar before.
Sometimes it works out, I got some shots of the kids that were taken when I bumped the dial and switched from av to manual without realising I had done it.
Pics were way too bright, but made for a good photo. Something I would never have done otherwise.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:16 am 

Here he is, added heavy brighting and contrast to get it to this point

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:00 am 
Site Admin

Bad luck Mike, but it does at least validate my comment at the end of all of my DSLR Tips videos where I recommend people ALWAYS set their cameras back to Program or Auto after using other modes. Yes, it isn't hardcore, but it does mean your camera will be ready for spontaneous opportunities.

You wouldn't believe the constant grief I get on youtube for suggesting it from people who think you must exclusively shoot in manual to be a proper photographer.

Anyway, now that rant's off my chest, I can once again wish you my condolences - it really is frustrating when that happens. I've been there myself, which is why I make the reocmmendations above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:35 am 

I Second Gordon, I've got in to the habit of going back to programme mode after shooting other modes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:23 am 

Quote:
Here he is, added heavy brighting and contrast to get it to this point

If you up the brightness, that only affects the midtones (so, not the bear). If you up the contrast, the bear, which is very dark, will just get darker. I would try lowering the brightness and using the fill light to get back detail in the bear's fur, and use the clarity slider (not the contrast slider) to get more contrast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:24 pm 

Yeah Gordon, I always try and do that when I'm finished, I learned that from you :D but I really was clicking pics at the mountain when it happened. Oh well, I've been told this bear is a regular here I my slip back out early on morning and try again :)

theorigamist I asume you mean in Photoshop? I'm still learning there so I did this quick in GIMP, might give what you suggested a shot, thanks a bunch!