Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:33 am 

Alright, I'm finally getting my Google+ set up.

I'm listed as Evan Kros, and I believe that my profile name is Evan. Here's a link to my profile:

https://plus.google.com/110616687721654 ... 9631/posts

I'd love to join the Cameralabs Hangout, what do I need to do to add my name to the list?
Also, do I need a webcam to use the hangout? I have a mic, and there's a webcam built into my tablet (I'm not sure if that would work with Google+), but no separate cam or one built in for my PC.
Sorry about my ignorance, I'm still getting used to it.

By the way, I'd be fine really any time later on Friday, or some time during Saturday.

Thanks for the help!

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:05 am 
Site Admin

Hi Evan, you should be able to use your tablet. Just log into Google+ , click on the home icon and try and start your own hangout (in right column) as a test - it will test your camera and sound for you.

Once again I suggest we all create a cameralabs circle containing just cameralabs folk - it'll make private hangouts much easier to initiate by any of us.

I agree a theme is important, so as Mark suggests, how we all got into photography could be fun, perhaps followed by a chat about new equipment - maybe one new product we all wish for?!

I think I may be the most awkward one regarding times, living where I do... weekends are also limited for me as I can only do evenings (NZ time, which is the morning in GMT).

Monday Morning NZ time (Sunday evening GMT) could work though...

So how about 9pm GMT on Sunday 18th?

(that's 9am on Monday 19th in NZ / 2pm Sunday 18th in West Coast USA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:56 pm 
If that was the time we all agreed upon I would be joining about a half hour late due to work.

Also, as you suggested, I created a Camera Labs circle for everyone listen on the OP on my Google+

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

I'm going to post a comment about the hangout on G+ to my cameralabs circle - so hopefully you'll all see it there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:53 pm 

+1 on the time, think that will work for me! :wink:

One thing we might discuss is paid jobs: have you ever had one? Would you like one? If you ever got paid, how did you feel about the shoot?

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:03 pm 

Evan, I just remembered you need to install some sort of plugin to be able to join a Hangout. Doesn't work on iOs, but perhaps you have a tablet that would allow for such an installation. If not, see if a hangout would work without a webcam...

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:24 pm 

I had noticed that, Bjorn. WebOS doesn't support Google voice, so hopefully I can just use the mic with my PC.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:43 pm 

If there are more invites, I'll take on even though the Google+ welcome screen says they aren't taking anymore right now.

(sent you an invite, deleted your email address to prevent spam. Bjorn)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:58 am 

Can't wait for the hangout, the time should work nicely for me. It turns out that I can use my PC and microphone during the hangout, so I shouldn't have a problem. I'll have to get myself a webcam some day...

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:32 am 

Not entirely sure I know anything about google+...
Could somenone give me a little rundown as to how to get registered?

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:13 am 

Google+ is a social networking site, similar to Facebook, but much better in many respects. It offers a cleaner, more user friendly interface, a plethora of features, is very secure and syncs seamlessly to all of your Google accounts.
One interesting feature of G+ is the ability of make "hangouts", essentially a live chat with your friends. As you can see from some earlier posts, we've scheduled a Cameralabs hangout for 9PM GMT on Sunday.

To sign up, you need to get an invitation. You should get one from me if you click here. If you have trouble, PM me your eMail and I'll eMail you an invite.
After you're signed up, you can start adding people to your circle. There's a list of the Cameralabs members that have signed up at the beginning of the thread.

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:35 am 

Thank you Evan! :)

I am going to start figuring out how to do it all during the next few days. Any tips?

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:04 am 
Site Admin

PS - Evan, so we will hear you, but not see you? That's not fair! Buy a webcam or borrow a laptop with one over the weekend!

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:36 am 

I'll try Gordon, I've been meaning to buy myself a webcam for a few years now, I've never got around to it though. I'll see if I can borrow a friend's macbook. I may be able to use my D7000 as a webcam if I just use some live view remote control capture program on my PC, and then do a live stream of the video being displayed.

Or, I can go to Wal-Mart and buy myself a $10 webcam, probably 1000 times easier :lol:

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:44 pm 

Up and going... Starting to get the hang of it.. Thanks again for the invite! :)

I should be able to make the "hangout" which should be fun!!! I checked out my mic and cam and they both worked first try. So no troubles there. :)

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next