Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:29 pm 

EVIL (electronic viewfinder, interchangeable lenses)

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/09/01/samsung_unveils_nx200_20mp_aps_c_shooter/

as Bob suggests they're clearly being made up in Blackadder fashion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:44 pm 
But not all of them have electronic viewfinders. Except for one or two odd-ball small-sensor cameras with interchangeable lenses, what distinguishes these cameras is that they all have large sensors.

Of course, as technology advances and sensors improve, sensor sizes may shrink, and even DSLR's may end up with small sensors, so that distinction may disappear. Every camera may end up with interchangeable lenses, and the only difference may be in whether a mirror and/or prism is used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:44 am 
I had assumed that the electronic viewfinder meant composition using an electronic display, traditional viewfinder style or rear LCD.

I had assumed that the world had settled on EVIL, always found the pun amusing. :twisted: [/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:08 pm 

The forum search engine strikes, or should that be "went on strike", again today. "Search for all terms" for 'system' and 'camera' produced no results! :roll: Google to the rescue. 8)

Leica use the term "compact-system camera" (here) while Leica Rumors very sensibly use the term "system camera" (here).

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:47 am 
I'm knocking this to the top because I think the new Canon G1 X shows us that "ILC" doesn't really work. The G1 X doesn't have interchangeable lenses, yet it clearly belongs in this class of camera.

Below I said that what distinguishes this group of cameras is the large sensors, but now we have two manufacturers (Pentax and Nikon) releasing such cameras with small sensors.

Therefore, I would like to propose that the best umbrella name is ACC (Advanced Compact Camera).

Bob Anderson likes "Compact System Camera", but as I've said before, the word "system" really has no meaning because the menus and features of these cameras aren't that much different from budget cameras. In other words, both cheap and expensive cameras have "systems".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:01 pm 

I'm still using the term "EVIL" - sounds funny and about everybody knows what's meant.

For me the G1X is a (premium) compact camera.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:00 pm 

Hi Caleb,

Through no influence of mine I think the term Compact System Camera, or CSC, is gaining ground rapidly. At the end of the day if direct use of CSC gains dominance it won't really matter what the letters stand for. By way of example, how many of us really understand why the term "reflex" is used in SLR/DSLRs which, after all, contain a mirror and not a reflex! :lol:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:48 pm 

Caleb, I think it is now clear to me you are trying to define a certain class of camera, which is NOT the same class as what people are doing they use the term EVIL, CSC, (M)ILC or whatever. They are specifically talking interchangeable lens cameras as a category, regardless of the sensor size.

If you are looking at relatively big sensor mirrorless cameras, including fixed and interchangeable lens models, that's something different. Personally I don't think that category even needs a name. And if you are going to draw a line for sensor size, where exactly is that line? For example, I take the 2x crop factor m4/3 system is included, yet the Nikon 1 at 2.7x crop factor is now too small for your interest?

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:16 pm 
I'm trying to put all the compact cameras that have at least one advanced feature into one group -- and when I say advanced feature, I mean features that you normally have to buy a DSLR to get, such as interchangeable lenses and/or a large sensor. I just think that calling them "advanced" (or perhaps "premium") has more meaning than the word "system". And yes, I do think they all belong in one group since they are all part of the innovation that is going on to bring us a better compact camera. However, two groups -- one for interchangeable lenses and one for large sensors -- would also make sense.