Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:08 am 
Yeah, I know its weird. I want to know if there are any good ways of adding vignetting to your pictures without using photoshop. I have noticed that it gives a much more dramatic black and white image. I love shooting black and white so i try to make them as good as possible.

A guy I know uses a 5D and it is pretty bad on the vignetting maybe because he is using a Nikkor lens or something but I just want to know what the best way is.

I don't want it to be as blatently black like if I were using a circular fisheye but just darker around the edges. Not solid black. Here is an examples...

D200

5D

Film

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:02 am 
The Canon 5D is a full-frame, so vignetting is more noticeable than on an APS-C sensor. I assume you have the Nikon D200?

If you do want to enhance the natural vignetting on a lens, you can use a thick rimmed screw-on filter and the lens almost, if not, fully blown open on the aperture. An oversized lens hood could also increase vignetting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:10 am 
Yeah I will have my D200 in about 3 days.

I thought about the lens hood and getting a big but I need to think of a way to keep it on there. I also have tried putting multiple screw on UV filters and that helps too.

Anything else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:19 am 
I like vignetting too. I use lightroom to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:03 am 
yeah but I don't edit my pictures. I am not talking down to people to do but I prefer not to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:06 pm 

Just fix a cardboard with circular cut-out to your lens or the appropriate UV-filter.
You have to experiment a bit as the effect depends heavily on the lens...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:07 am 
Site Admin

Or how about a lens hood that's too big!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:20 am 
Nathan wrote:
yeah but I don't edit my pictures. I am not talking down to people to do but I prefer not to.

Any particular reason?

Personally I don't see the distinction between using a filter at the front of the lens or behind it.