Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: shooting into sun/light
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:29 pm 
Ok guys today i was trying to get a picture of plants with the sunset in the background.. one problem.. if i made the shutter speed too fast to get the nice sunset you wouldnt see the flower.. if i mad it to slow i would get the flower but not the sunset.. anyone have any tips on how to solve this problem??

Post subject: FILL IN FLASH
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:46 pm 
Use fill in flash to highlight your subject.

Check the tip here http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=106

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:48 pm 

With this sort of extreme contrast, only way to go is with HDR.
So make an exposure bracket of at least -2EV..+2EV!
Combine in PhotoMatix or any tool of your choice, voila!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:07 pm 

Check out the following 400D/XTi manual sections (page numbers may be different):

Using the built-in flash (page 54)
Flash Exposure Compensation (page 75)
FE Lock (page 85)

One possibility would be to set the camera to Tv mode with the Mode Dial and dial in an exposure of 1/200th second or slower (required for flash sync) and put first pressure on the shutter to see what the optimum Av value for the sunset is. You might have to lower the shutter speed and/or increase the ISO to get an acceptable aperture. Go to M mode and set these aperture and exposure settings and then follow the procedure for "FE Lock" to get the required flash output for the plants (I'm assuming here that the on-board flash is powerful enough).

Health Warning: I've never tried this so if it doesn't work then please let me know. :oops:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:50 pm 
thanks guys.. i'll give some of this a try.. but also i though maybe take 1 exposure with high shutter speed to get the nice sunset then take another with slow shutter speed to get the nice landscape (plants animals ect.) then combine the pics and get the best of of each like a HDR shot.. think that would work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:28 am 
Site Admin

A fill-in flash might work - see our workshop here, which may be aimed at portraits, but the theory applies to the kibnd of thing you're after.

http://www.dslrtips.com/workshops/How_t ... lash.shtml

If the flash is too bright, even with negative flash compensation, try temporarily putting some greaseproof paper or some other diffusing material in front of it...

Post subject: KEEP IT SIMPLE
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:17 pm 
I totally agree with Gordon:

If you can apply the "Keep it simple" policy it is better for you.
Post processing is fine but could kill you :)

If you use your camera's pop up flash you can use a piece of very thin paper to diffuse the light in order to soften it.
Then you will shoot the same 3 shots playing with flash compensation but you won't need to merge the images to get one. I think you can use that technique when the case is an impossible one (flash out of range).

Cheers