Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:04 pm 
Its very sad to announce that I'm no longer having interest in photography anymore. However I'm not yet personally ask Gordon to delete my account yet I'm might be mingle or roam around the forum if I want to but unlikely to chat silly thing or anything non photography related. So the question is will I have some interest in photography/camera gear in the future? unfortunately very unlikely to have one :(

Here is brief history from starting in photography till retiring from it. Not long ago from December 2006 I got my very first Compact P&S Nikon Coolpix S9, I was very exciting to play with it & improving my photographic skill about 2 Years & the half. Around in year 2008 I had interest to investing a DSLR which is a Canon 450D + Kit Lens cost me about BND $1200, I saved my school allowances from late 2007 till late 2008. With my effort saving it finally grabbed a Canon 450D. As I got it pretty exciting with it very much & gained my photographic experience in year 2009, with in the same year grabbed myself a canon Speedlite 430EXII as a compliment to it.

Now this is when my interest in photography are about to stagnate, in early 2009 I was kinda careless person (Dare to Confess this!) letting my camera to my friend to play along with it for quite sometime while in the school, realized that he played with continuous shooting for very long time & causing the shutter count increased drastically. In august 2009 as I shoot my camera suddenly saw a rather large black rectangular object blocking my sensor realized that my camera already reached its shutter limit.:shock: Ever since then my camera are unusable to take photo & when I asked to Canon Service center to try to fix it said that it is very expensive to replace it & cost about BND $400 +. Unfortunately at that time I don't have any amount money left to fix it :cry: And so photography activity slows down by then & at that time I was having a hard time without my DSLR continuing photography with my Old P&S.

In Mid year 2010 there is some event that makes my interest in photography drifted away. My friend inviting me to their Electronic Dance Music Scene Party at the private club, at that time I was amazed & extremely enjoyed listening some House/Trance Music scene coming from the DJ's deck. I asked myself should I try something different like to starting Djing based on music that I liked ( I love Trance & House Music!) other than photography?. I went to internet to find out more about learn to Djing & I found this guy from DJ Tutor aka Ellaskin that makes grew interest in DJ.After several of months learned from him so far I'm by far enjoyed in Djing that makes my interest in photography completely drifted away.

Okay now as today I already made an evaluation about DJ vs Photography, which one I should go & its clear that DJ are my favorite the most but whats wrong with it anyway quoted back 'will I have some interested in photography/camera gear in the future? unfortunately very unlikely to have one'. Okay here's my evaluation about it :-
  • firstly photography are quite expensive hobby, from my experience just after I got my camera doesn't mean expenditure ends there, there are lots of expenditure to cover up such as buying the software, servicing, External Hard Drive to store photos & plenty more things to buy which costs me a lot! (Not including buying new lens & upgrade new camera as needed!)
  • Secondly about the long term the living standard in Brunei are getting very costly & very unconvincing to get a new camera gear therefore most of the salary are end up keeping it to the bank to get housing scheme & a new car.
  • Thirdly well quite embarrassing & very honest to tell you that every photo I took before & never looked back even the best shot :oops: & reason that I have a family relation problem going on so the photo I took about them once I remember looking them that makes he grew disappointing & hating about them.
  • Fourthly even I have a camera today but the biggest problem when will I have time to go out photo shooting once I got Job? although even I have free time on Friday & Sunday however when I got weekly duty there is no way I could go.
  • Finally as the new hobby that hooked my up which mean I'm no longer interested in photography anymore

To wrap it up the expenditure of photography are relatively costly & uncertainty amount of income due to higher standard of living in Brunei making hard to access buying new camera even in the long term. As for the new hobby obviously needs money to get the DJ gear but at least not expensive as in photography even I don't have DJ Gear right now but starting out with DJ Software anyway.

Enough about the DJ Stuff. Anyway I would personally like to Thanks Gordon that inspired me to get involved in photography & also our loveable Cameralabs Forum member to cheer me up during the interest in photography. The reason why I made this thread I know its a bit pointless but want to inform our member that want to know what had happen to Adi & no longer upload photos to Flickr for several years this thread explained everything.

Now for today have to carry on with my decision :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:14 pm 

I am sorry to hear that you have lost interest in photography Adi. I hope that you enjoy being a DJ! Maybe you should keep your gear and if you regain an interest you can replace the shutter. Or you could replace it and just use it to take holiday photos and other general photos.

Whatever you do I wish you good luck :D

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:34 pm 

Hi Adi,

Goodness, it doesn't seem so long ago since you joined the forum. But do stay with us and chip in from time to time if the mood takes you.

My own interest in photography has waxed and waned over the years and I think the first "wane" occurred about the time I left school. My guess is that you'll see the same pattern as opportunity and disposable income allow.

Good luck with the DJ-ing. That's an awesome skill if you can master it.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:46 pm 

Unbelievable, a year ago when I started DJing (thanks to my friend DJ Nicky Romero, you may know him!) my time for photography went downwards too. Im teached by Ellaskins also, found that quite funny to read too, but I hope my hobby (astro!-)photography will stay...

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:46 pm 

Even if you decide to quit, the forum account can just be left inactive in case you do feel like revisiting later on.

Photography doesn't require the highest level of equipment, I've had as much fun with older kit or compacts too. If you decide it is worth doing, maybe just take the odd shot on the side while doing other things? You don't have to take it 100% seriously all the time :)

Whatever happens, I hope your future path goes well.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:30 pm 

The main thing is to stay creative! If you feel music will aid this then its a good thing. I write dance music and have records out etc, but photography will always be there for me, i couldn't give it up even if its shooting with my camera phone.

Anyways i wish you all the best in your DJ career as its a great buzz playing in front of crowds, especially when they are up for it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:02 am 

Before going into photography my main hobby were guitars. I don't play them that often anymore but I still love them and wouldn't sell even one of them. My main hobby before the guitars were books. I still have all my (guessed) ~600 books here, most of them read. I'm not reading so much anymore but at least a few books a year.

Well - there are some older hobbies and I still have everything here but those aren't that actual anymore.

Still I think: Even if one hobby isn't that actual anymore, always be ready to "fall back". Never forget it ;)

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:06 am 
i quit photography as a hobby earlier this year.

good luck on your quest Adi. and I hope to see you around, even on Facebook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:18 pm 

Stick around mate, CL is a community, not just a camera forum :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:06 am 

It's too bad that your interest in photography is dead, Adi. Hopefully we'll still see you around the forums.

Before I became interested in photography, my hobbies were mainly just playing jazz (trombone) and some video editing. What actually got me interested in photography was actually when I was looking for a camcorder I was told to look at superzooms, which got me interested in DSLRs, and it went from there. It's hard to believe that it was only a year ago! :shock:

I still keep up with my other hobbies, I do some sound mixing, play jazz, make the odd video or two in my spare time but other than that I do photography. I don't see myself ever giving it up (at least any time soon), I really love the satisfaction of getting a good photo.

See you around,
-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:10 pm 

Interests do not necessarily die! They can lie dormant, and be re-awakened.

I was first interested in photography during my teen years, when all I could afford were instamatic cameras, so my interest did not develop very far. In the early 2000's, I had a brief resurgence of interest, and bought a quite good quality 35mm point-and-shoot. Then, I did not shoot photos for several years, until 2010, when I started with a DSLR for the first time, a pre-owned Canon XTi (400D) borrowed from my wife. Within three months, I had upgraded to to a 40D, acquired my first L lens within another two months, and now, after a year of digital photography, have added two Canon 7D bodies, and own three L lenses.

I just acquired a Nikon film SLR, a camera much like I may have acquired in the early 1980's, if the funding had existed.

Stay in touch, and re-visit photography now and then. Interest may re-kindle in the future.

Canon 7D2/7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6/D700/FM3A/1Dx/Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, 45mm 2.8 AI-P, Micro 60/2.8G; Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II