Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:13 am 

Yesterday i was getting a train from Glasgow Queen Street railway station to Sterling to pick up some new Bowens Studio flashes. Whilst waiting for my train people watching (i'm a photographer) i noticed the shadows that the sunlight was producing in the crowded station and starting to photograph them. About a minute later i heard a remark about four seats down from me saying "Look at that man, he is taking photographs of children", referring to me.

I was completely disgusted by this and felt like standing up and giving some angrily remarks back to these people but instead i put my camera down to prove point, but should i have to? I'm not doing anything wrong!

This is what really annoys me, people are now brain washed by the Media and everyone who stands near a child is a potential pedophile, us photographers cant do anything these days without getting remarks, shouts or looks form the public, down right disgusting!!

P.s The flashes rock!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:35 am 

Had a few comments like around the local park. As a side observation, they were all groups of young(er) people, mostly males. At the risk of generalising, they're probably up to no good themselves. I usually just ignore them and continue anyway since I'm doing nothing wrong. If contact is unavoidable, I usually tell them unless they're a duck or a squirrel I'm not interested and that usually confuses them enough to shut them up. One did quack at me at that point...

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:51 am 

"Look at that man, he's making ignorant prejudiced comments without properly checking his facts" would be a good response?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:03 pm 

You should not have to stop, but unfortunately being right is not the same as gatting right. And as long as people keep being ignorant and keep listinging to other ignorant people it's only going to get worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:46 am 

I recall a saying "liars don't trust anyone." So, I wouldn't be surprised if the commenter was one of those up-to-no-good guys.

On the other hand, I remember being in an airport with my wife (soon-to-be fiance at the time), just a couple months after purchasing my first DSLR. And I was photographing planes and such. I then snapped a picture of a child/infant in a stroller. Her caregiver (her aunt who we learned later thru conversation) didn't seem freaked out by it, but looking back, wasn't enthusiastic about it either.
My wife said to me later, "I wouldn't want a stranger taking pictures of my child, especially without permission." Granted, I'm suspecting, Mark, that your shots were of a bustling crowd and not zoomed right in on a toddler's face.
When the opportunity permits that I'm observing a crowd and there are kids I try to be careful in the way I photograph the moment, "avoiding the appearance of evil" so to speak.

Yungnuo YN560 + YN560ii (x2) + Cactus V4

WISHLIST: 300 f/2.8
FORMER: Canon 5D + 40D + 450D + 18-55mm + 28-135mm + 50 f/1.4 + 100 f/2.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:59 am 

Heh, good ol' media eh? Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZID9MP3pUM0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:01 pm 
^

Nothing but good old Russell Peters :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:57 am 

heh, Im glad that never happens in Hong Kong or Taiwan :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:31 am 

An initial reaction to any accusation is usually indignation and defensiveness. But as others have said you knew what you were doing and those passing comment had no idea.

You could have been...
Reconstructing an incident trying to find a lost child
Shooting an ad campaign for a children's charity
Taking a picture of you own children or relatives

I have taken pictures of tree branches and had comments by passers by who couldn't fathom why on earth anyone would want to do such a thing.

At the time you question yourself but when you think about it you have nothing to question.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:17 am 
for street photos including children,it's always a sensible thing. and it's hard to get a goot street photo with children,so it's best to click only if one is certain. also,I always recommand a short lens (35-50mm on DX),a tele-lens is somewhat resembling a stalker,a paparazzi etc., which is a negative thing.
the third & most important aspect is don't use telephoto lenses at all. the further away you are,the more insecure you are or seem to be & the more the subjects will be,borrowing your insecurity just by looking at you. always try to stay close to people & enjoy being close to people. sense their emotions & act accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:07 am 

I forgot to add South Korea to my list xD, I photographed children playing around the water at a public park, No negative reactions there. ^^ Asia is pretty great :)

maybe in Europe I would get a negative feedback in public....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:29 pm 

My wife is treating me like that with my new DSLR. When we went to the Renaissance Fair and people are dressed up there to be looked at and I posted some pics here for comments she made a big deal about it, then the same thing with some kids playing in a fountain and she gave me a fit that I was taking pics of others kids, but the parents were there and they had no problem with it.