Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: great idea gordon!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:02 pm 
So after reading all about Gordon's space shuttle trips, and renting all of the equipment, i decided that was a good idea!

I just rented a Nikkor 70-200 VR II from borrowlenses.com, and it will be arriving early next week! I'm sure this isnt all that impressive to some of you, but i'm personally thrilled to to be able to utilize an awesome professional zoom for 10 days, I plan to photograph for 10 days straight practically! Being a college student this is an awesome lens that i've always wanted, but couldn't ever afford right now, but renting it for 10 days for about 1/15th of the new retail price seemed like a cool idea. Along with it i also rented the nikon 35mm F 1.8 (a lens that i'm considering buying) to test it out and see how i like it, i've read and heard great things about it, but i'm wondering if i'd appreciate it as much as everyone else as my 50mm F1.8 might not be a whole lot longer in focal distance. That's the beauty of renting! 30 bucks for ten days to figure out whether or not i want to buy one, great idea!

Along with that i've also rented a camera backpack, as my current over the shoulder type camera bag would not accommodate the large 70-200 lens, and i plan on taking it all over the place, so a bag was a must!

Anyone else take after gordon or maybe even do it before gordon suggested it and rent camera equipment? What has been your experience?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:54 am 

I rent lenses all the time when jobs seem fit. Currently i have a 16-35 and 85mm L lenses on rent for a mass 2 week archiving job. I can recoup the price of the rent 3 times over in the job price so makes sense to hire when need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:13 am 
Site Admin

Great stuff Joel! Did you click the link here to go to Borrow Lenses? If so, they pay me a small commssion which helps keep the site running - thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:21 am 

30 bucks for 10 days?
man, i must live in a third world or something... For 70-200 2.8 l they are renting here 40 euros for a weekend, and you must pay whole price for lens and also 10 euros if you dont take it back to a one specific shop! Its ok to rent from any shop in their network, but you can bring it back only to one, or you must of course pay again!

Canon AT-1, 50mm FD F1.8
Canon A430,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:31 pm 
Gordon- Yes, I followed the link here from the site! Always do whenever i order anything ;) .

Dingo- It was 30 bucks for the 35mm F1.8 for 10 days, not the 70-200 F2.8... that one was a bit more than 30 bucks, but still a good deal I think.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:15 pm 

they dont have 35mm, but 50 f 1.4 for 10 euros a day...

stil a steal price for me.

Canon AT-1, 50mm FD F1.8
Canon A430,