Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:45 am 

I was at the Birmingham Zoo and was shooting in aprature pri all day. the little train came along and i thought it would be a good shot to slow the shutter so i poped over to shutter pri and slowed it a bit and took a few panning shots. i went back to look at the shots and had forgot to adjust for the high noon sun and adjust the exposure so they were all over exposed :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:43 am 

I would suggest putting it in auto or program mode and see what the camera determines as a base line and then adjust these in aperture or shutter mode to suit your needs. When I park my camera I leave the app settings on f8 and shutter on 1/800, with this if I find a moving object I don't have to start twiddling the knob and miss a shot.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:37 am 
I have tried in vain for a long time to think of a mnemonic that would help me to remember to check all settings but to no avail.
I just have to try to think in this order:
ISO - usually base 200 but will increase if in low light
WB - usually auto but will change if in other than daylight full sun.
Mode - I shoot mostly in Aperture priority but again have to remember to change if circumstances warrant.
Format - I use RAW or JPEGS depending on how many shots I am proposing to shoot and subject matter. I rarely shoot RAW and JPEG together.
Picture style - I tend to use Vivid mostly and switch to Neutral when shooting portraits. I rarely use Standard.
Metering mode - Matrix most of the time but change to centre weighted or spot in tricky lighting.
Focus - Usually single point or continuous for moving subjects.

That's a hell of a lot to remember and I very often forget something and find I have shot some pics with incorrect settings. Then of course we have to remember to choose the right lens for the job and select it's sweet spot........ if we have time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:31 am 

Keep an eye on your light meter in the viewfinder as this will help you prevent over exposing the images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:16 am 

I usually have a quick glance at the pics with the highlight alert enabled.
But sometimes I just stuff up, its happening rarely now though.

Funnily enough my wife gets caught out the most because I leave it on some unusual setting and she doesn`t always check. I now try and remember to put it back to P, at least its a good starting point and she will adjust it from there.

Realistically its not a bad habit to develop, for when you try and grab that quick shot of the kids or whatever, at least the camera is ready to go.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic