Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Light-field Technology
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:58 pm 

Check it out.. If it works like they say it's it'll be time to throw away the rule books..

http://allthingsd.com/20110621/meet-the-stealthy-start-up-that-aims-to-sharpen-focus-of-entire-camera-industry/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:39 pm 

Really understanding how this work is slightly maddening.

Fantastically interesting though, never heard of this concept before :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:24 am 
Hi jkstacey,

Nice find and thanks for sharing. Got that LYTRO site bookmarked already. The opportunities afforded with this technology is truly a game-changer. One can only imagine what would be possible if paired with a good lens....but wait...what role will the lens then have? Perhaps it will represent the upper limit of sharpness?

I can't help but think of cybermystic, gmazza and others here - on would think this would make "focus stacking" a breeze! What could it do for expanded dynamic range/HDR type stuff too. The more you think about it, the more exciting it seems!

Cheers ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:03 am 
i saw this pop up on twitter last night, and ive started to read the thesis of the technology involved. fascinating stuff. i think im going to have to start to save up for one now.

if marketed right, and as long as its not so expensive that only millionaires can afford it, it could very well change the landscape of digital photography. if you had to choose between a camera that could do all that and one that couldn't, you would be mad not to jump in. canon, nikon and the rest wont be far behind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:08 am 

I was looking for their stock, but it looks like it's not traded yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:24 am 

like to see better examples, any even a crap shots can look good on a reduced jpg

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:57 am 

jake.rohan wrote:
i saw this pop up on twitter last night, and ive started to read the thesis of the technology involved. fascinating stuff. i think im going to have to start to save up for one now.

if marketed right, and as long as its not so expensive that only millionaires can afford it, it could very well change the landscape of digital photography. if you had to choose between a camera that could do all that and one that couldn't, you would be mad not to jump in. canon, nikon and the rest wont be far behind.

I have read most of their rapport as well.

For anyone else interested, you can get it here:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/lfc ... 150dpi.pdf

I still have trouble grasping the technology, but have I understood the thesis correctly when I say: that this has something closely to do with the hyper focal point?

Quote:
Since the microlenses are vanishingly small
compared to the main lens, the main lens is effectively fixed at the
microlenses’ optical infinity.

From page 3 on the thesis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:18 pm 
maxjj wrote:
like to see better examples, any even a crap shots can look good on a reduced jpg

It's just a concept at the moment, they havent actually made anything.

They play with examples on their website just outline the possibilities, they arent actual images shot with one of these things.

I think its a great idea. It would push the price of lenses way down. Also no more worrying about Sigmas front or back focus issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:32 pm 

Jeremy, I too wonderd about lens prices, is it time to start `off loading` now? ......before the rush :wink:

tbh though, IF this technology works properly, (inc the `pro side`) it COULD be the death of photography as we know it. :(

I wonder how worried existing manufacturers actually are.
They would presumably have to join in......or buy the idea & stop it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:47 pm 
oldCarlos wrote:
...it COULD be the death of photography as we know it

Nah, the death of photography as I knew it came with the release of autofocus. And then just to shoot it when it was down, digital. Getting rid of focussing altogether is merely an insult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:31 pm 

You still have to focus, it's just that you do it afterwards in post instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:51 am 

I see they now have a button to "Reserve a camera" on the Lytro site, so maybe there will be something in peoples hands by the end of the year?

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:40 am 

Interesting thread which I missed seeing until today. Maybe I shouldn't do this because I just haven't the time to read the whole paper but isn't there a noise issue? I did see a brief section where it was claimed that signal to noise ratio wasn't impacted because information from several sensor sites was added together but that rather assumes that sensor read noise reduces as pixel size reduces and I think that is not a good assumption.

On a more general note, one is asking the sensor not only to record information about intensity, as cameras currently do, but also about direction. Thus the sensor has to record more information but with the same number of electrons as would be generated by the light striking a conventional sensor (on the assumption that the base ISO is similar). My grasp of information theory mat be pretty tenuous but that says to me that the final image must be noisier in some fashion. Maybe the noise is less intrusive than the chroma/luminance noise we all see from time to time but we'll have to see.

If it all works as advertised then is it aimed at the DSLR owner who wants to adjust focus after the event or could it be aimed at the compact camera owner to synthesis shallow depth of field? Maybe if I'd had more time to read I wouldn't have to ask these questions but the Lytro site seems pretty short on answers as well.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:12 pm 

The majority of p&s/casual camera owners won't have even heard about this new idea & until they pop into their local camera shop to buy a new camera, or more likely via the internet/Currys etc etc sites before they go on holiday, aren't likely to, so maybe if they're asking for folk to `reserve a camera` now, theyr'e actually wondering how much interest there will be, certainly from serious photogs.

They can't be using `interest/potential reservations` at this stage, to base R&D costs on. (unless it is further into the future than they're implying) & probably not using it to establish manufacturing set up/output either. :?