Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Color Blind
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:50 am 

Let me tell you, being color blind sucks. I've been trying to play with my Point and Shoot over her in Afghanistan. I have both GIMP and PhotoShop CS5. I honestly don't know when I need to make color corrections. It doesn't help with my quality of camera and lack of experience. Sometimes I take a really good pic with the camera and sometimes I can tell the pic is bad but don't know if I've made good adjustments. Sometimes I have a great pic but looking at others work I can see that I could make adjustments to make a cool effect but I don't understand the colors to make the adjustments :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:02 pm 

Its like my friend who does not have a sense of taste, he comes to the good restaurants with us out of hunger as he cant taste the great flavours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:18 pm 

Are you serious, no sense of taste????? God, that would suck! I don't know what I would do if I could not taste. Well, maybe challenge Andrew Zimmer in a "Who Can Eat the Nastiest Food" contest. But really, Ugh. I'll keep my dyslexia and color blind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:59 pm 

How severe is your color-blindness?
Have you thought about shooting only b/w?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:26 pm 

Quote:
Have you thought about shooting only b/w?

He already thinks he is! :lol:

Seriously though, that's not a bad idea.

Mike, if YOU'RE happy with your pics as is.......that's good enough. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:46 pm 

Quote:
He already thinks he is!

:lol: HAHA

I see all colors the problem is getting them confused; say I get blue and purple to close together I have no idea which is which. Trying to work with color slides like CYMK or RGB is difficult because you have to blend the slides to get the color you're after and I could be shooting for one color or effect but go way off in another direction.

Doing graphics work I actually have a RGB color charter with the names and codes together so I find the color name and chip then copy the code and past it into the program I'm working with.

I do like black and white but I want to do nature in color so I guess when I get real good I will open a gallery "From an Color Blinds Perspective" :D I do have one more winter in Alaska and I actually want to do some B&W kinda like Ansel Adams.

Pics like this deserve color:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:33 pm 

Hi Mike... I too have the same issues with blues and purples as well as reds and browns... stark differences I can tell but subtle changes are impossible for me.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:57 am 
Mike you should invest in a whitebal card... like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... lance.html

Then you'd know for sure you have the correct color. One of my photo profs made us color correct pictures using black and white monitors. Once you get good at correcting by the numbers its pretty easy.

Also some of you may find this interesting... it tells you how accurately you see color. X rite made it too so you know its good stuff. I scored a zero!

http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77&Lang=en

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:42 am 

My age range was a 0 best 1540 worst and I got a 444, the blues worst followed by the reds.

So, with the card, when I go into a new environment, I flash the card in from of the camera to set the white balance then shoot from there? If so, that's not a bad idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:42 am 

cool, but how does a white card help with seeing colour?

we were tested for colour blindness when I got my job. When pushing button in a control room, guess is it helps to push the right one. :P . A few of my colleagues are borderline, ie having trouble with red and green. With red meaning running and green stopped its obviously something to be aware off now that we are moving over form a panel with separate red and green buttons to screen based and mouse, where the same button just changes colours.

I supose it makes it easier then to shoot jpg and raw and using the internal tweaks to set the camera up, fortunately with something like the 7D or any new DSLR there is plenty of scope to do so.

I find pushing saturation up a bit and sharpening in the jpg makes a nice bit of diference.

With th 7D, when iso 1600 and above it is better to use jpg anyway because it utilises an internal noise reduction which isn`t done to the raw file. Obviously you can do it later with other software, but it works well just on the jpg.

What tweaks have you all done to your internal camera jpg settings?

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:49 am 

monitors settings make a difference do, did the xrite just before at home and got zero, pretty easy. When I have done it work with the poorer quality monitors that are on all day and night and they are a number of years old, I ususally miss a couple and find it harder to do.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:07 pm 

@tomis - great test - i scored 8. bloody tough that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:49 pm 

I did the test too, but only on the first row. Got a perfect score (IPS panel). Keep in mind your monitor might be the limiting factor here too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:56 pm 

Unfortunately it is down to my old eyes:) I have 2, regularly calibrated dell u2410 monitors. Little brothers of yours I believe.

I tried all the rows, the top seemed the easiest on my eyes, though probably because when I got to the end they felt a little strained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:08 pm 

I got all the colors right xD
so I scored: "You have perfect color vision!"

using a Samsung F2380 Calibrated by Spyder