Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Credit Card Fraud Scam
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:56 am 

Hi folks,

Since many of us purchase out toys using credit cards I thought the details of the following scam might be of interest. It originated from someone who works in AXA Insurance here in the UK. Most of it is common sense, but it is worth repeating to your friends who may be slightly more gullible.

=============================================
Latest credit card scam - Please pass this on ..

This one is pretty slick since they provide YOU with all the information, except the one piece they want.

Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it. This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA & Master Card Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself.

One of our employees was called on Wednesday from "VISA", and I was called on Thursday from "Master Card".

The scam works like this: Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank) did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for £497.99 from a Marketing company based in London ?" When you say "No", the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 to £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?"

You say "yes". The caller continues - "I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on the back of your card (0800 -VISA) and ask for Security.

You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works - the caller then says, "I need to verify you are in possession of your card." He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers." There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card.

These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?" After you say, "No," the caller then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do", and hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of £497.99 was charged to our card.

Long story - short - we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account. VISA is reissuing us a new number. What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them. Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master Card directly for verification of their conversation. The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit. However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a "Jason Richardson of Master Card" with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know that this scam is happening .

===========================================

Most of this is common sense, but I am sure that we may all know someone who may be taken in by this sort of phone call.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:32 pm 

Sad to hear that you got ripped off :shock:
This scam is very well laid out! And I assume in perfect english (which cannot be said of many mail-scams :lol: )
Thank you for the heads-up :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:51 pm 

Thomas wrote:
Sad to hear that you got ripped off

Fortunately I am just passing on the warning. I will certainly know what to do if I get a 'phone call purporting to be from my credit card company, though. :evil:

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:02 pm 

I prefer to pay by cash.

Plus its harder to part with physical cash...mentally anyway.

I don't have a bank account either lol!

Hopefully no one hear gets ripped off :)

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:03 pm 
there are alot of these scams going around here in the USA aswell.
A old roommate almost got taken for $2000.
He was selling a frige for $500 in the paper.
It went like this:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SCAMER: Hello I am calling about the frig you are selling.
IDIOT roommate: Yes, we still have it.
SCAMER: do you mind if I send you a check and pick it up later? We are moving to the area, but we are heading back to (other state) to finish packing.
IDIOT roommate: that fine it is $500 the address is. . . .
About a week later he gets the check for the amount of $2500.
He then calls the guy and tells him of the mistake.
SCAMER: Oh, sorry I have been paying bills and just made the mistake.
IDIOT roommate: Thats ok, we have other people that want the frig-
SCAMER: -- Well tell you what. We want it and here is what I will do. .
Go ahead and CASH the check at your bank and deposit the $2000 in mine.
IDIOT: OK, thats fine. looks like we bank at the same place.
He gets to the bank hands the girl the check. deposits it,withdraws the $2000 then makes the deposit in the guys acct.
The check does not have a routing number. the acct# transfers to another bank in the UK
the check WILL bounce taking my IDIOT roommate for $2000
and the scamer gets the $2000 that WAS deposited into his acct that was then immediately transferd to the acct in the UK. without the routing number the check will not clear, the bank will hold the check for ten day's before they will deposit the funds. My roommate had $5000 in the acct and did not think it would be a big deal if instead of waiting for the check to clear, to just go ahead and make the deposit for the scamer. then ten day's later he got a call saying that the check would not clear. He then tells me about it. I am seeing red flags all over his story we run back to the bank, tell the teller what happend, she sees red flags and calls the main office. after about two month he gets his $2000 back from the bank, but because the funds were transferd to the UK the scamer got away.
IDIOT ROOMMATE.
IF you don't know them, don't trust them. cash or check? CASH ALWAYS :!: :!: :!:

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:38 pm 
man, that's another reason why I'm not going to use a credit card when I grow up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:58 pm 
Quote:
And I assume in perfect english

That's how you know it's a scam then, most companies use call centres in India! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:29 am 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi folks,
============
Latest credit card scam - Please pass this on ..

===========================================

Most of this is common sense, but I am sure that we may all know someone who may be taken in by this sort of phone call.

Bob.

Bob, same exact thing happened to me, I went from about 5,000 to -100$ in one day, I went to my bank, suntrust called VISA and did a fraud investigation and got all the money back (thank god)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:04 pm 
Thanks Bob, good heads-up -- I'll pass it on. They anounce these scams on TV but if you're not watching that particular day you're out of luck. I almost got sucked into an online Paypal scam, but backed out in time. Paypal has an easy "Spoof" check if anyone gets one of those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:11 pm 
some of these phishing scams are very nasty little buggers but as long as you remember NEVER give our your account details when someone asked for them then you should be fine. If you do online banking always check the URL of the page before logging in.

You cant go without having a bank account these days, Bills get paid by direct debits, payments go straight into bank accounts and online shopping needs direct debit or credit cards. Credit cards are good if you are the type of person who is not going to abuse them and you pay money back but for some people this can be difficult. Im currently a student and companies left right and centre keep poking me in the tummy trying to get me in debt with them.