Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Teleconverters
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:04 am 

Or Extenders etc.

Now, I've checked on the canon website and apparently my 70-300IS isn't supported either by the 1.4x or 2x tele-converters. Now when they say "not supported" does this mean its manual focus only, or does it mean it just won't work one way or another - e.g. it won't work electronically to get proper light metering, or it won't adjust the aperture on the lens etc.

If its just the manual focusing thing, then would that be true for cheaper tele-converters (yes I know they effect quality) or would they not close the aperture etc. or some other reasons. (e.g. a sigma for canon EF mount)

Just a little confused by this as I was thinking about investing in a 1.4 or 2x tele-converter using @ F/8 anyway for daytime shooting of sports (e.g. super bikes etc. at knock hill - my dad works there so I wanted to spend some quality time with him and try and get some shooting done in the process)

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:13 am 
This probably isn't much help but I was thinking about buying one recently and then I went it to a Ritz and played around with one... not as good as you might think. I wouldn't waste the money on one, even on a good high end one I don't think it is worth it unless you really need a super long focal lenght on a lens that has like a f/2.8 aperture going on it because it you are using a 70-300mm(@300mm it is like f/5.6) you will have a crappy 600mm f/11.2 and the quality is lessened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:41 am 

Hi Daniel,

Nathan is right as teleconverters really show up the optical defects in a lens and so are best considered only with very good glass.

The AF issue is related to f-number. As I understand it, EOS bodies are designed to disable AF if they are fed light from a lens of f-number greater than f/5.6. If you are considering a third party solution then, as well as the usual suspects such as Tamron and Sigma, you might want to look at the Kenko products described in this PDF file. I would strongly suggest that you check out the performance of the teleconverter of choice before you finally part with any cash as it may not offer much improvement in resolution.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:33 pm 

Yeah, its just a thought for the moment, I'm sure 300mm will be enough for most wildlife and sports photography (keeping my options open you see 8)) but just in case I did need that little bit more (1.4x would probably be plenty) then I just wanted to do a bit of research on the matter before I jumped into it.

Besides, means I know more about tele-converters by the end of the week! One more photography matter understood, countless more to go :)

(kind of on the same topic, things that sit between the camera and the lens)

Now, instead of starting another thread - Extension Tubes:

- Hollow (No Glass Elements)
- Increase the closest focusing distance of your lens
- WHY do they cost so much to buy new? Are any EF fit extension tubes ok to use?

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!