Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:01 pm 
Moving from a PoS camera to a DSLR I can no longer put my camera in my pocket.

When your out and about, how do you carry your camera? Do you use a neckstrap? do you carry a camera bag with you everywhere, do you just plop your camera in your normal bag or do you just carry just the camera in your hand?

I Have a bag, but at the moment im just hanging the camera round my neck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:27 pm 
Cool topic!
I carry my Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 almost every where I go.
When I am shooting with my 30D I always have a next strap on. I have never tried a hand strap. I used to always have a Canon SD450 in my pocket because it was so convenient and a great compliment to my SLR. I need a replacement because I miss it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

I prefer not to use dedicated camera bags for discretion, so normally end up popping the DSLR in a small but thick plastic bag, then into a normal bag, like my Crumpler shoulder bag - see

http://www.cameralabs.com/blog/may06/29/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:40 pm 
When I am out I just carry it around and I wrap the strap around my hand so I can't drop it. When I am going to a location I just put my other stuff in a backpack and keep my camera in hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:34 pm 
I use a small (and quite obvious) little camera bag. But I'm currently looking for something that is little more discreet.

Carrying a zoom lens that creeps with a neckstrap really doesn't work for me.

PS: While writing this, I just realised I don't know and can't seem to be able to find the english word for carrying a bag with a strap, in such a way that the strap looks like the seat-belt of a car, crossing your chest. If someone could be so kind...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:34 am 
I carry it in my medium sized and rather conspicuous camera bag. If I'm going to be taking shots frequently I take out altogether and hang it around my neck. I carry my shoulder bag with the strap going across my chest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:02 am 
When not using camera it is my Lowepro Slingshot 300AW, and when I get to where ever I need the camera it is just slung over my shoulder.
This may sound a bit careless but as I don't move around a lot when I am on location at a Railway spot it is quite safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:06 pm 
Mine always starts off in my Lowepro Slingshot, but then as soon as I get where I'm going, it stays around my neck either just hanging or sometimes with one arm through the strap so the camera sits to one side. The 18-200mm can creep, which can be a pain, but with smaller lenses like my 10-20mm it's just fine.

I took someone's advice when I bought my camera and immediately replaced the strap with an Op/Tech USA strap and that is just invaluable!

I think travelling as much as I do and carrying the camera the way I do makes me not as eager as I would normally be in upgrading bodies because the size and weight of the D80 even with the 18-200mm VR lens is comfortable enough to carry around your neck all day on hikes without it dragging you down. It would be nice to be able to try out a D300 for a day though to see if the extra weight makes that much difference :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:36 pm 
Neck strap and Lowepro Off Trail 1

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:12 pm 
I use a Lowepro voyager S strap sling style across my chest, with a TTP Urban Disguise shoulder bag.